Dynamic Factor Models: A review of the Literature
AbstractFor few years, the increasing size of available economic and financial databases has led econometricians to develop and adapt new methods in order to efficiently summarize information contained in those large datasets. Among those methods, dynamic factor models have known a rapid development and a large success among macroeconomists. In this paper, we carry out a review of the recent literature on dynamic factor models. First we present the models used, then the parameter estimation methods and finally the statistical tests available to choose the number of factors. In the last section, we focus on recent empirical applications, especially dealing with the building of economic outlook indicators, macroeconomic forecasting and macroeconomic and monetary policy analyses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banque de France in its series Working papers with number 430.
Length: 61 pages
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Dynamic factor models; estimation; tests for the number of factors; macroeconomic applications.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- E66 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General Outlook and Conditions
- F44 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Business Cycles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-04-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-04-13 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2013-04-13 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Helmut Lütkepohl, 2014.
"Structural Vector Autoregressive Analysis in a Data Rich Environment: A Survey,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2014-004, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Helmut Lütkepohl, 2014. "Structural Vector Autoregressive Analysis in a Data Rich Environment: A Survey," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1351, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Christine Petit-Djemad).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.