Processed food exports from developing countries: patterns and determinants
AbstractA noteworthy recent development in world trade is the rapid expansion of processed food exports. This development and its policy implications have received little attention in the literature on export-led industrialisation in developing countries (DCs). The purpose of this paper is to redress this oversight firstly by providing an overview of the growth patterns of processed food exports and then examining the determinants of inter-country differences in growth performance. The results point to the growing importance of food manufacturing as a dynamic export line for many DCs. There is also evidence that the policy regime is far more important than resource endowments and other country-specific factors in explaining inter-country differences in export success in this product area, as in the case of conventional manufactured exports.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Food Policy.
Volume (Year): 23 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol
Other versions of this item:
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala & Kunal Sen, 1996. "Processed Food Exports from Developing Countries: Patterns and Determinants," Departmental Working Papers 1996-14, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala & Kunal Sen, 1996. "Processed Food Exports from Developing Countries: Patterns and Determinants," Trade and Development 96/14, Australian National University, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pritchett, Lant, 1996. "Measuring outward orientation in LDCs: Can it be done?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 307-335, May.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:1991.02 is not listed on IDEAS
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 1991.
"An Analysis of Demand and Supply Factors in Agricultural Exports from Developing Asian Countries,"
1991.02, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra, 1991. "An Analysis of Demand and Supply Factors in Agricultural Exports from Developing Asian Countries," 1991 Conference (35th), February 11-14, 1991, Armidale, Australia 145500, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995.
"Economic Reform and the Process of Global Integration,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 1-118.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995. "Economic Reform and the Progress of Global Integration," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1733, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Roemer, Michael, 1979. "Resource-based industrialization in the developing countries : A survey," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 163-202, April.
- Islam, Nurul, 1988. "Fast-growing agricultural exports of developing countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 313-316, August.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2004. "Agricultural Trade Reforms in the Doha Round: A Developing Country Perspective," Departmental Working Papers 2004-05, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Narayanan, Sudha & Gulati, Ashok, 2002.
"Globalization and the smallholders,"
MTID discussion papers
50, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Rae, A. & Josling, T., 2003. "Processed food trade and developing countries: protection and trade liberalization," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 147-166, April.
- Senauer, Benjamin & Venturini, Luciano, 2005. "The Globalization of Food Systems: A Conceptual Framework and Empirical Patterns," Working Papers 14304, University of Minnesota, The Food Industry Center.
- Diaz-Bonilla, Eugenio & Reca, Lucio, 2000. "Trade and agroindustrialization in developing countries: trends and policy impacts," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 219-229, September.
- Jongwanich, Juthathip & Magtibay-Ramos, Nedelyn, 2009. "Determinants of Structural Changes of Food Exports from Developing Countries," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 166, Asian Development Bank.
- Razmi, Arslan, 2007. "Pursuing manufacturing-based export-led growth: Are developing countries increasingly crowding each other out?," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 460-482, December.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala & Sisira Jayasuriya, 2003.
"Food Safety Issues, Trade and WTO Rules: A Developing Country Perspective,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(9), pages 1395-1416, 09.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Sisira Jayasuriya, 2003. "Food Safety Issues, Trade and WTO Rules: A Developing Country Perspective," Departmental Working Papers 2003-13, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra, 2003. "Food Safety Issues, Trade and WTO Rules: A Developing Country Perspective," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57831, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Iizuka, Michiko & Katz, Jorge, 2010.
"Natural resource industries, 'tragedy of the commons' and the case of Chilean salmon farming,"
UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series
061, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Michiko Iizuka & Jorge Katz, 2011. "Natural Resource Industries, ‘Tragedy of the Commons’ and the Case of Chilean Salmon Farming," Institutions and Economies (formerly known as International Journal of Institutions and Economies), Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya, vol. 3(2), pages 259-286, July.
- Jongwanich, Juthathip, 2009. "Impact of Food Safety Standards on Processed Food Exports from Developing Countries," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 154, Asian Development Bank.
- Marchant, Mary A. & Kumar, Sanjeev, 2004. "Demand Determinants For U.S. Processed Food Exports By Emerging/Low And Middle-Income Countries," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20276, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jongwanich, Juthathip, 2009. "The impact of food safety standards on processed food exports from developing countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 447-457, October.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala, 2006. "Post-crisis export performance: The Indonesian experience in regional perspective," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 177-211.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.