Processed Food Exports from Developing Countries: Patterns and Determinants
A noteworthy recent development in world trade is the rapid expansion of processed food exports. This development and its policy implications have received little attention in the literature on export-led industrialisation in developing countries (DCs). The purpose of this paper is to redress this oversight firstly by providing an overview of the growth patterns of processed food exports and then examining the determinants of inter-country differences in growth performance. The results point to the growing importance of food manufacturing as a dynamic export line for many DCs. There is also evidence that the policy regime is far more important than resource endowments and other country-specific factors in explaining inter-country differences in export success in this product area, as in the case of conventional manufactured exports.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Sep 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 1991.
"An Analysis of Demand and Supply Factors in Agricultural Exports from Developing Asian Countries,"
1991.02, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra, 1991. "An Analysis of Demand and Supply Factors in Agricultural Exports from Developing Asian Countries," 1991 Conference (35th), February 11-14, 1991, Armidale, Australia 145500, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 1991. "An Analysis of Demand and Supply Factors in Agricultural Exports from Developing Asian Countries," Working Papers 1991.02 EDIRC Provider-In, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995.
"Economic Reform and the Process of Global Integration,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 1-118.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995. "Economic Reform and the Progress of Global Integration," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1733, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Pritchett, Lant, 1996. "Measuring outward orientation in LDCs: Can it be done?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 307-335, May.
- Islam, Nurul, 1988. "Fast-growing agricultural exports of developing countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 313-316, August.
- Roemer, Michael, 1979. "Resource-based industrialization in the developing countries : A survey," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 163-202, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:anuetd:9614. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.