Determinants of Structural Changes of Food Exports from Developing Countries
Over the past three decades, there has been a rapid expansion of processed food exports in developing countries, replacing traditional agriculture exports such as coffee and tea. However, this development and its policy implications have received little attention in the literature. This paper aims to redress this oversight by providing an overview of key characteristics and growth patterns of processed food exports in developing countries. The determinants of structural changes toward processed food exports in developing countries are examined using panel data econometric analysis. The results suggests that trade policy openness, large domestic market, good macroeconomic management especially in terms of price stability, as well as adequate financial support and infrastructure are the key factors that influence the structural changes toward processed food products.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 789, Manila|
Fax: (63-2) 636-2648
Web page: http://www.adb.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala & Kunal Sen, 1996.
"Processed Food Exports from Developing Countries: Patterns and Determinants,"
Trade and Development
96/14, Australian National University, Department of Economics.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra & Sen, Kunal, 1998. "Processed food exports from developing countries: patterns and determinants," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 41-54, February.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala & Kunal Sen, 1996. "Processed Food Exports from Developing Countries: Patterns and Determinants," Departmental Working Papers 1996-14, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Sisira Jayasuriya, 2003.
"Food Safety Issues, Trade and WTO Rules: A Developing Country Perspective,"
Departmental Working Papers
2003-13, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala & Sisira Jayasuriya, 2003. "Food Safety Issues, Trade and WTO Rules: A Developing Country Perspective," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(9), pages 1395-1416, 09.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra, 2003. "Food Safety Issues, Trade and WTO Rules: A Developing Country Perspective," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57831, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Regmi, Anita & Gehlhar, Mark J. & Wainio, John & Vollrath, Thomas L. & Johnston, Paul V. & Kathuria, Nitin, 2005. "Market Access For High-Value Foods," Agricultural Economics Reports 33999, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbewp:0166. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Susan M. Torres)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.