Export Performance in Transition: The Case of Georgia
AbstractThis paper examines export performance in Georgia in the process of transition from central planning to market oriented economy. Policy reforms undertaken with the support of the Bretton Woods institutions since the mid-1990s have made Georgia one of the most market-friendly economies among the Commonwealth of Independent States. However, the reforms have so far failed to transform the lopsided export structure inherited from the Soviet era in line with emerging opportunities for global economic integration. We conclude that orthodox liberalisation reforms are unlikely to improve export performance unless accompanied by concrete measures to redress supply constraints faced by export producers and to sustain their international competitiveness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2013-02.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Georgia; transitional economies; export performance; trade policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F6 - International Economics - - Economic Impacts of Globalization
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James H. Anderson & Cheryl W. Gray, 2006. "Anticorruption in Transition 3 : Who is Succeeding... and Why?," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7089, August.
- Curran, Louise & Zignago, Soledad, 2012. "EU enlargement and the evolution of European production networks," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 240-257.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala & Sisira Jayasuriya, 2003.
"Food Safety Issues, Trade and WTO Rules: A Developing Country Perspective,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(9), pages 1395-1416, 09.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Sisira Jayasuriya, 2003. "Food Safety Issues, Trade and WTO Rules: A Developing Country Perspective," Departmental Working Papers 2003-13, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra, 2003. "Food Safety Issues, Trade and WTO Rules: A Developing Country Perspective," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57831, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Keesing, Donald B, 1983. "Linking Up to Distant Markets: South to North Exports of Manufactured Consumer Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 338-42, May.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra & Sen, Kunal, 1998.
"Processed food exports from developing countries: patterns and determinants,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 41-54, February.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala & Kunal Sen, 1996. "Processed Food Exports from Developing Countries: Patterns and Determinants," Trade and Development 96/14, Australian National University, Department of Economics.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala & Kunal Sen, 1996. "Processed Food Exports from Developing Countries: Patterns and Determinants," Departmental Working Papers 1996-14, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 2011. "Understanding Global Trade," Economics Books, Harvard University Press, number 9780674060784.
- Boeri, Tito, 2000. "Structural Change, Welfare Systems, and Labour Reallocation: Lessons from the Transition of Formerly Planned Economies," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198293651.
- Hans-Peter Lankes & A. J. Venables, 1996. "Foreign direct investment in economic transition: the changing pattern of investments," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 4(2), pages 331-347, October.
- John Pickles & Adrian Smith, 2011. "Delocalization and Persistence in the European Clothing Industry: The Reconfiguration of Trade and Production Networks," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(2), pages 167-185.
- Easterly, William & Reshef, Ariell & Schwenkenberg, Julia, 2009. "The power of exports," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5081, The World Bank.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2011.
"Production Networks and Trade Patterns in East Asia: Regionalization or Globalization?,"
Asian Economic Papers,
MIT Press, vol. 10(1), pages 65-95, January.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra, 2010. "Production Networks and Trade Patterns in East Asia: Regionalization or Globalization?," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 56, Asian Development Bank.
- Diaz-Bonilla, Eugenio & Reca, Lucio, 2000. "Trade and agroindustrialization in developing countries: trends and policy impacts," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 23(3), September.
- Rubinstein, Yona & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2008.
"Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes,"
3228230, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc Melitz & Yona Rubinstein, 2008. "Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(2), pages 441-487, 05.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc Melitz & Yona Rubinstein, 2007. "Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes," NBER Working Papers 12927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jan Svejnar, 2001.
"Transition Economies: Performances and Challenges,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
415, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Diaz-Bonilla, Eugenio & Reca, Lucio, 2000. "Trade and agroindustrialization in developing countries: trends and policy impacts," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 219-229, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.