Multinational Enterprises and Manufacturing for Export in Developing Asian Countries: Emerging Patterns and Opportunities for Latecomers
AbstractThis paper examines the role of multinational enterprises (MNEs) is the expansion of manufacturing exports from developing countries, in the light of the Asia experience. First a typology of MNE-export nexus is developed in the context changes in patterns of international production over the past two decades. The typology is then applied to empirical evidence from newly industrialized countries (NICs) and latecomer exporting countries in Asia. The evidence suggests that the share of MNEs in manufactured exports from all these countries has recorded a significant increase from about the mid 1970s and the entry of MNEs is virtually essential for the export success of latecomers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number d06-193.
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
multinational enterprises; manufacturing exports; Asia; newly industrialized countries;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-12-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2006-12-09 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2006-12-09 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INT-2006-12-09 (International Trade)
- NEP-SEA-2006-12-09 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans-Peter Lankes & A. J. Venables, 1996. "Foreign direct investment in economic transition: the changing pattern of investments," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 4(2), pages 331-347, October.
- Dollar, David & Hallward-Driemeier, Mary, 2000. "Crisis, Adjustment, and Reform in Thailand's Industrial Firms," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 15(1), pages 1-22, February.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2005.
"Product Fragmentation and Trade Patterns in East Asia,"
Asian Economic Papers,
MIT Press, vol. 4(3), pages 1-27, October.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2003. "Product Fragmentation and Trade Patterns in East Asia," Departmental Working Papers 2003-21, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Subramanian Rangan & Robert Z. Lawrence, 1993. "The Responses of U.S. Firms to Exchange Rate Fluctuations: Piercing the Corporate Veil," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(2), pages 341-379.
- Robert C. Feenstra, .
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
Department of Economics
98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Sisira Jayasuriya, 2003.
"Food Safety Issues, Trade and WTO Rules: A Developing Country Perspective,"
Departmental Working Papers
2003-13, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala & Sisira Jayasuriya, 2003. "Food Safety Issues, Trade and WTO Rules: A Developing Country Perspective," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(9), pages 1395-1416, 09.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra, 2003. "Food Safety Issues, Trade and WTO Rules: A Developing Country Perspective," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57831, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Suma Athreye & Sandeep Kapur, 2001. "Private Foreign Investment in India: Pain or Panacea?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 399-424, 03.
- Hill, Hal & Pang Eng Fong, 1991. "Technology exports from a small, very open NIC: The case of Singapore," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 553-568, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.