EU enlargement and the evolution of European production networks
AbstractWe analyse the regionalisation of the European Union's production networks and the impact of enlargement by looking at trends in trade in intermediate and final products in different types of technology between 1995 and 2007. We find that enlargement has coincided with quite major changes in the structure of trade within and beyond the EU. Overall we find that the new member states of the EU12 have become a more important source of goods both for the sub-region itself and for the EU15.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research in International Business and Finance.
Volume (Year): 26 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ribaf
EU trade; EU enlargement; High tech trade; EU supply chains;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laszlo Halpern & Miklos Koren & Adam Szeidl, 2005.
"Import and Productivity,"
IEHAS Discussion Papers
0509, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Mohamed Hedi Bchir & Lionel Fontagné & Paolo Zanghieri, 2003. "The Impact of EU Enlargement on Member States: a CGE Approach," Working Papers 2003-10, CEPII research center.
- Alan M. Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004.
"A Perspective on Regional and Global Strategies of Multinational Enterprises,"
2004-19, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Alan M Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004. "A perspective on regional and global strategies of multinational enterprises," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(1), pages 3-18, January.
- Alan M. Rugman & Simon Collinson, 2005. "Multinational Enterprises in the New Europe: Are They Really Global?," Working Papers 2005-12, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Medvedev, Denis, 2012. "Beyond Trade: The Impact of Preferential Trade Agreements on FDI Inflows," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 49-61.
- Gianfranco De Simone, 2008. "Trade in Parts and Components and the Industrial Geography of Central and Eastern European Countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 144(3), pages 428-457, October.
- Kaminski, Bartlomiej & Ng, Francis, 2001. "Trade and production fragmentation : Central European economies in European Union networks of production and marketing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2611, The World Bank.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2008.
"Specialization across varieties and North-South competition,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 23, pages 51-91, 01.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2007. "Specialisation across Varieties within Products and North-South Competition," Working Papers 2007-06, CEPII research center.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Fidrmuc, Jarko & Schnatz, Bernd, 2005.
"Trade integration of Central and Eastern European countries: lessons from a gravity model,"
Working Paper Series
0545, European Central Bank.
- Matthieu Bussière & Jarko Fidrmuc & Bernd Schnatz, 2005. "Trade Integration of Central and Eastern European Countries: Lessons from a Gravity Model," Working Papers 105, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Robert Feenstra, 2003.
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Joze Damijan & Crt Kostevc, 2011. "Trade liberalisation and economic geography in CEE countries: the role of FDI in the adjustment pattern of regional wages," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 163-189.
- Kalotay, Kalman, 2004. "The European flying geese: New FDI patterns for the old continent?," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 27-49, April.
- Mirabelle Muûls & Mauro Pisu, 2007.
"Imports and Exports at the Level of the Firm : Evidence from Belgium,"
Working Paper Research
114, National Bank of Belgium.
- Mirabelle Mu�ls & Mauro Pisu, 2009. "Imports and Exports at the Level of the Firm: Evidence from Belgium," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(5), pages 692-734, 05.
- Mirabelle Muûls & Mauro Pisu, . "Imports and exports at the level of the firm: Evidence from Belgium," Discussion Papers 07/28, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Mirabelle Muuls & Mauro Pisu, 2007. "Imports and exports at the level of the firm: evidence from Belgium," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19711, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Mirabelle Muûls & Mauro Pisu, 2007. "Imports and Exports at the Level of the Firm: Evidence from Belgium," CEP Discussion Papers dp0801, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Berrill, Jenny & Hutson, Elaine & Kearney, Colm, 2011. "What is a multinational corporation? Classifying the degree of firm-level multinationality," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 557-577, October.
- Cerrato, Daniele, 2009. "Does innovation lead to global orientation? Empirical evidence from a sample of Italian firms," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 305-315, October.
- Hiroyuki Kasahara & Joel Rodrigue, 2005.
"Does the Use of Imported Intermediates Increase Productivity? Plant-Level Evidence,"
University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute Working Papers
20057, University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute.
- Kasahara, Hiroyuki & Rodrigue, Joel, 2008. "Does the use of imported intermediates increase productivity? Plant-level evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 106-118, August.
- Joel Rodrigue & Hiroyuki Kasahara, 2004. "Does the Use of Imported Intermediates Increase Productivity? Plant-Level Evidence," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 511, Econometric Society.
- Marin, Dalia, 2008.
"The New Corporation in Europe,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19242, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Eric Rugraff, 2010. "Strengths and weaknesses of the outward FDI paths of the Central European countries," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 1-17.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00096821 is not listed on IDEAS
- D'artis Kancs, 2007.
"Does Economic Integration Affect the Structure of Industries? Empirical Evidence from the CEE,"
Economic Systems Research,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 73-97.
- d'Artis Kancs, 2007. "Does Economic Integration Affect the Structure of Industries? Empirical Evidence from the CEE," LICOS Discussion Papers 19507, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Olivier Bertrand, 2011. "What goes around, comes around: Effects of offshore outsourcing on the export performance of firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(2), pages 334-344, February.
- Kristien Coucke & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2008. "Offshoring as a survival strategy: evidence from manufacturing firms in Belgium," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(8), pages 1261-1277, December.
- Mouhoud, El Mouhoub & Jennequin, Hugues & Dupuch, Sébastien, 2004. "EU enlargement : what does it change for the european economic geography," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1859, Paris Dauphine University.
- Sanjaya Lall, 2000. "The Technological Structure and Performance of Developing Country Manufactured Exports, 1985-98," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(3), pages 337-369.
- Neil M. Coe & Peter Dicken & Martin Hess, 2008. "Global production networks: realizing the potential," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 271-295, May.
- John H Dunning & Masataka Fujita & Nevena Yakova, 2007. "Some macro-data on the regionalisation/globalisation debate: a comment on the Rugman/Verbeke analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(1), pages 177-199, January.
- Julia Spies & Helena Marques, 2009. "Trade effects of the Europe agreements: A theory-based gravity approach," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 11-35.
- Thomas Osegowitsch & Andr� Sammartino, 2008. "Reassessing (home-)regionalisation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(2), pages 184-196, March.
- Louise Curran & Soledad Zignago, 2009. "Evolution of EU and its Member States' Competitiveness in International Trade," Working Papers 2009-11, CEPII research center.
- John Pickles & Adrian Smith & Milan Bucěk & Poli Roukova & Robert Begg, 2006. "Upgrading, changing competitive pressures, and diverse practices in the East and Central European apparel industry," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 38(12), pages 2305-2324, December.
- Peter Huber, 2007.
"Did Previous EU Enlargements Change the Regional Distribution of Production? An Empirical Analysis of Three Enlargement Episodes,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Peter Huber, 2008. "Did previous EU-enlargements change the regional distribution of production? An empirical analysis of three enlargement episodes," International Journal of Public Policy, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(3/4), pages 187-206.
- John Pickles & Adrian Smith, 2011. "Delocalization and Persistence in the European Clothing Industry: The Reconfiguration of Trade and Production Networks," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(2), pages 167-185.
- Anwar, Sajid & Nguyen, Lan Phi, 2011. "Foreign direct investment and trade: The case of Vietnam," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 39-52, January.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Piazolo, Daniel, 2001.
"Capital and trade flows in Europe and the impact of enlargement,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 183-214, September.
- Claudia M. Buch & Daniel Piazolo, 2000. "Capital and Trade Flows in Europe and the Impact of Enlargement," Kiel Working Papers 1001, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Raja Kali & Javier Reyes, 2007. "The architecture of globalization: a network approach to international economic integration," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 595-620, July.
- Hooy, Chee-Wooi & Goh, Kim-Leng, 2010. "Exposure to the world and trading-bloc risks: A multivariate capital asset pricing model," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 206-222, June.
- Masaaki Kotabe & K Scott Swan, 1994. "Offshore Sourcing: Reaction, Maturation, and Consolidation of U.S. Multinationals," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(1), pages 115-140, March.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Koenig Soubeyran, Pamina, 2004.
"EU enlargement and the internal geography of countries,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 265-279, June.
- Ingo Geishecker, 2006. "Does Outsourcing to Central and Eastern Europe Really Threaten Manual Workers' Jobs in Germany?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(5), pages 559-583, 05.
- Peter Lamb & J�rgen Sandberg & Peter W Liesch, 2011. "Small firm internationalisation unveiled through phenomenography," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(5), pages 672-693, June.
- Martin Borowiecki & Bernhard Dachs & Doris Hanzl-Weiss & Steffen Kinkel & Johannes Pöschl & Magdolna Sass & Thomas Christian Schmall & Robert Stehrer & Andrea Szalavetz, 2012. "Global Value Chains and the EU Industry," wiiw Research Reports 383, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Swarnim WaglÃ©, 2013. "Export Performance in Transition: The Case of Georgia," Departmental Working Papers 2013-02, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.