Ownership structure, strategic controls and export intensity of foreign-invested firms in transition economies
AbstractThis paper examines the relationships between foreign ownership, managers' independence in decision-making and exporting of foreign-invested firms in five European Union accession countries. Using a unique, hand-collected data set of 434 foreign-invested firms in Poland, Hungary, Slovenia, Slovakia and Estonia, we show that foreign investors' ownership and control over strategic decisions are positively associated with export intensity, measured as the proportion of exports to total sales. The study also analyzes specific governance and control configurations in foreign-invested firms, showing that foreign equity and foreign control over business functions are complementary in terms of their effects on export intensity. Journal of International Business Studies (2008) 39, 1133–1148. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400404
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 39 (2008)
Issue (Month): 7 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bersant Hobdari & Aleksandra Gregoric & Evis Sinani, 2011. "The role of firm ownership on internationalization: evidence from two transition economies," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 393-413, August.
- Vivien D. Procher & Diemo Urbig & Christine Volkmann, 2013.
"Time to BRIC it? Internationalization of European family firms in Europe, North America and the BRIC countries,"
Schumpeter Discussion Papers
sdp13004, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- V. D. Procher & D. Urbig & C. Volkmann, 2013. "Time to BRIC it? Internationalization of European family firms in Europe, North America and the BRIC countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(16), pages 1466-1471, November.
- Vivien Procher & Diemo Urbig & Christine Volkmann, 2013. "Time to BRIC It? – Internationalization of European Family Firms in Europe, North America and the BRIC Countries," Ruhr Economic Papers 0416, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- M.A. Boermans & H.J. Roelfsema, 2013. "The Effects of Internationalization on Innovation: Firm-Level Evidence for Transition Economies," Working Papers 12-04, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Benedikt Schnellbächer & Johannes Stephan, 2009. "The Role of the Intellectual Property Rights Regime for Foreign Investors in Post-Socialist Economies," IWH Discussion Papers 4, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Isabel Álvarez & John Cantwell, 2011. "International Integration and Mandates of Innovative Subsidiaries in Spain," Institutions and Economies (formerly known as International Journal of Institutions and Economies), Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya, vol. 3(3), pages 415-444, October.
- Sangho KIM & Donghyun PARK, 2011. "Ownership Structure of Firms and Their Export Performance: Evidence from Korea," Economic Growth centre Working Paper Series 1101, Nanyang Technolgical University, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Economic Growth centre.
- Ma, Xufei & Yiu, Daphne W. & Zhou, Nan, 2014. "Facing global economic crisis: Foreign sales, ownership groups, and corporate value," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 87-100.
- Farole, Thomas & Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Tselios, Vassilis & Winkler, Deborah, 2013.
"Geography and the Determinants of Firm Exports in Indonesia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9342, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Tselios, Vassilis & Winkler, Deborah & Farole, Thomas, 2013. "Geography and the Determinants of Firm Exports in Indonesia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 225-240.
- Singh, Deeksha A., 2009. "Export performance of emerging market firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 321-330, August.
- Yi, Jingtao & Wang, Chengqi & Kafouros, Mario, 2013. "The effects of innovative capabilities on exporting: Do institutional forces matter?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 392-406.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.