The Changing Global Geography of Low-Technology, Labor-Intensive Industry: Clothing, Footwear, and Furniture
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 34 (2006)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tewari, Meenu, 1999. "Successful Adjustment in Indian Industry: the Case of Ludhiana's Woolen Knitwear Cluster," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1651-1671, September.
- Cawthorne, Pamela M., 1995. "Of networks and markets: The rise and rise of a South Indian town, the example of Tiruppur's cotton knitwear industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 43-56, January.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1998. "Exports of Manufactures by Developing Countries: Emerging Patterns of Trade and Location," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 54-73, Summer.
- D. W. Carlton, 1976.
"Vertical Integration in Competitive Markets Under Uncertainty,"
174, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1979. "Vertical Integration in Competitive Markets under Uncertainty," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 189-209, March.
- Schmitz, Hubert, 1999. "From ascribed to earned trust in exporting clusters," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 139-150, June.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003.
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Doris Hanzl-Wei�, 2004. "Enlargement and the Textiles, Clothing and Footwear Industry," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(6), pages 923-945, 06.
- Chari, Sharad, 2000. "The Agrarian Origins of the Knitwear Industrial Cluster in Tiruppur, India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 579-599, March.
- Stella Lowder, 1999. "Globalisation of the Footwear Industry: A Simple Case of Labour?," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 90(1), pages 47-60, 02.
- McAleese, Dermot & McDonald, Donogh, 1978. "Employment Growth and the Development of Linkages in Foreign-Owned and Domestic Manufacturing Enterprises," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 40(4), pages 321-39, November.
- Eike W Schamp, 2005. "Decline of the district, renewal of firms: an evolutionary approach to footwear production in the Pirmasens area, Germany," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 37(4), pages 617-634, April.
- Edward E. Leamer & Michael Storper, 2001.
"The Economic Geography of the Internet Age,"
NBER Working Papers
8450, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brad Christerson, 1997. "The Third China? Emerging industrial districts in rural China," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(4), pages 569-588, December.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Jennifer Bair, 2002. "Beyond the Maquila Model? Nafta and the Mexican Apparel Industry," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 203-225.
- Knorringa, Peter, 1999. "Agra: An Old Cluster Facing the New Competition," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1587-1604, September.
- Gibbon, Peter, 2001. "Upgrading Primary Production: A Global Commodity Chain Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 345-363, February.
- Egan, Mary Lou & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "Buyer-seller links in export development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 321-334, March.
- Richard P. Appelbaum, 1997. "Cheap Labor Strategies and Export-Oriented Industrialization: Some Lessons from the Los Angeles/East Asia Apparel Connection," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 202-217, 06.
- Shafaeddin, S. M., 2004. "Is China's accession to WTO threatening exports of developing countries?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 109-144, January.
- Visser, Evert-jan, 1999. "A Comparison of Clustered and Dispersed Firms in the Small-Scale Clothing Industry of Lima," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1553-1570, September.
- Norma Rantisi, 2002. "The Local Innovation System as a Source of 'Variety': Openness and Adaptability in New York City's Garment District," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(6), pages 587-602.
- J�rgen Essletzbichler & David L Rigby, 2001. "Industrial and regional restructuring in the US women's dress industry, 1963 - 92," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 33(8), pages 1385-1410, August.
- Allen J. Scott, 2005. "The shoe industry of Marikina City, Philippines: a developing country cluster in crisis," Urban/Regional 0511003, EconWPA.
- Allen J. Scott & Michael Storper, 2007.
"Regions, Globalization, Development,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(sup1), pages S191-S205.
- Young, Alwyn, 1995. "The Tyranny of Numbers: Confronting the Statistical Realities of the East Asian Growth Experience," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 641-80, August.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael & Morris, Mike & Readman, Jeff, 2002. "The Globalization of Product Markets and Immiserizing Growth: Lessons From the South African Furniture Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1159-1177, July.
- John Humphrey & Hubert Schmitz, 2002. "How does insertion in global value chains affect upgrading in industrial clusters?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1017-1027.
- James E. Rauch, 2001. "Business and Social Networks in International Trade," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1177-1203, December.
- Rabellotti, Roberta, 1999. "Recovery of a Mexican Cluster: Devaluation Bonanza or Collective Efficiency?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1571-1585, September.
- Hsing, You-tien, 1999. "Trading companies in Taiwan's fashion shoe networks," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 101-120, June.
- Peter Dicken & Markus Hassler, 2000. "Organizing the Indonesian clothing industry in the global economy: the role of business networks," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 32(2), pages 263-280, February.
- Berry, Albert & Rodriguez, Edgard & Sandee, Henry, 2002. " Firm and Group Dynamics in the Small and Medium Enterprise Sector in Indonesia," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 18(1-3), pages 141-61, Feb.- May.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1998. "Erratum: Exports of Manufactures by Developing Countries: Emerging Patterns of Trade and Location," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(3), pages 168, Autumn.
- Eiji Yamamura & Tetsushi Sonobe & Keijiro Otsuka, 2003. "Human capital, cluster formation, and international relocation: the case of the garment industry in Japan, 1968--98," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 37-56, January.
- J D Lim, 1994. "Restructuring of the footwear industry and the industrial adjustment of the Pusan economy," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 26(4), pages 567-581, April.
- Bertacchini Enrico & Borrione Paola, 2009. "The city mouse and the country mouse: the geography of creativity and cultural production in Italy," EBLA Working Papers 200902, University of Turin.
- Kevin P. Heanue, 2008. "Measuring Industrial Agglomeration in a Rural Industry: The Case of Irish Furniture Manufacturing," Working Papers 0830, Rural Economy and Development Programme,Teagasc.
- Navas-Alemán, Lizbeth, 2011. "The Impact of Operating in Multiple Value Chains for Upgrading: The Case of the Brazilian Furniture and Footwear Industries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1386-1397, August.
- Nakhoda, Aadil, 2013. "The impact of the exports of BRIC countries plus Turkey on the exports of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 52477, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2011.
"Choosing between foreign investment and subcontracting: Strategies of Italian firms in Romania,"
29174, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2010. "Choosing between foreign investment and subcontracting: Strategies of Italian firms in Romania," MPRA Paper 23787, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Truett, Lila J. & Truett, Dale B., 2010. "Globalization challenges for the Mexican textile industry," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 733-741, October.
- Kearney, Colm, 2012. "Emerging markets research: Trends, issues and future directions," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 159-183.
- Lila Truett & Dale Truett, 2014. "A ray of hope? Another look at the Italian textile industry," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 525-542, March.
- Hu, Zheng & Hu, Zhaoguang, 2013. "Production function with electricity consumption and its applications," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 313-321.
- Murphy, James T., 2007. "The Challenge of Upgrading in African Industries: Socio-Spatial Factors and the Urban Environment in Mwanza, Tanzania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1754-1778, October.
- Tattara, Giuseppe & Constantin, Florentina & De Giusti, Giovanna, 2009.
"Strategies of Italian firms in Romania. Evidence from selected case studies,"
17765, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Florentina Constantin & Giovanna Giusti & Giuseppe Tattara, 2010. "Strategies of Italian Firms in Romania: Evidence from Selected Case Studies," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 829-847, February.
- Tan, Justin & Shao, Yunfei & Li, Wan, 2013. "To be different, or to be the same? An exploratory study of isomorphism in the cluster," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 83-97.
- Yochanan Shachmurove, 2007. "Geography and Industry Meets Venture Capital," PIER Working Paper Archive 07-015, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Francisco Puig & Belen Garcia-Mora & Cristina Santamaria, 2011. "Survival of the firm and territory," ERSA conference papers ersa11p197, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.