Human capital, cluster formation, and international relocation: the case of the garment industry in Japan, 1968--98
AbstractThis article examines the changing roles of human capital in the process of the formation of industrial clusters, changes in marketing channels, and the relocation of the industrial base to less developed areas and abroad, based on a case study of a garment cluster in postwar Japan. We found, among other things, that experience as local traders played a major role in the cluster formation. However, formal schooling assumes greater importance in later stages, when direct transactions with large customers replaced transactions with local merchants, and the international relocation of the production base became a major management issue. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Journal of Economic Geography.
Volume (Year): 3 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://joeg.oxfordjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- H.M. Nihal Padmasiri, 2012. "The role of human and social capital on the development of wooden furniture clusters in Sri Lanka," International Journal of Development Issues, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 11(1), pages 19-36, April.
- Babur Wasim Arif & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2012.
"Virtual Incubation in Industrial Clusters: A Case Study in Pakistan,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(3), pages 377-392, March.
- Babur Wasim Arif & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2011. "Virtual Incubation in Industrial Clusters: A Case Study in Pakistan," GRIPS Discussion Papers 11-08, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Fleisher, Belton & Hu, Dinghuan & McGuire, William & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2010.
"The evolution of an industrial cluster in China,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 456-469, September.
- Fleisher, Belton & Hu, Dinghuan & McGuire, William & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2009. "The evolution of an industrial cluster in China:," IFPRI discussion papers 896, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Belton M. Fleisher & Dinghuan Hu & William McGuire & Xiaobo Zhang, 2009. "The Evolution of an Industrial Cluster in China," Working Papers 09-05, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Claudia Werker & Suma Athreye, 2004. "Marshall’s disciples: knowledge and innovation driving regional economic development and growth," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 14(5), pages 505-523, December.
- H.M. Nihal Padmasiri, 2011. "The Role of Human Capital in the Development Process of Industrial Clusters: Evidence from Metalworking Clusters in Sri Lanka," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 30(1), pages 109-117, 03.
- Kimura, Yuichi, 2011. "Knowledge Diffusion and Modernization of Rural Industrial Clusters: A Paper-manufacturing Village in Northern Vietnam," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 2105-2118.
- Tsuchiya, Ryuichiro, 2006. "The Role of the Manager's Education in Firm Growth: An Empirical Analysis in the Taiwanese Manufacturing Sector," Discussion Papers 2006-18, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Sonobe, Tetsushi & Hu, Dinghuan & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2004. "From inferior to superior products: an inquiry into the Wenzhou model of industrial development in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 542-563, September.
- Keijiro Otsuka, 2006. "Cluster-Based Industrial Development: A View From East Asia," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 57(3), pages 361-376.
- Tetsushi Sonobe & Keijiro Otsuka, 2006. "The Division of Labor and the Formation of Industrial Clusters in Taiwan," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 71-86, 02.
- John E. Akoten & Keijiro Otsuka, 2007. "From Tailors to Mini-Manufacturers: The Role of Traders in the Performance of Garment Enterprises in Kenya," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 16(4), pages 564-595, August.
- Scott, Allen J., 2006. "The Changing Global Geography of Low-Technology, Labor-Intensive Industry: Clothing, Footwear, and Furniture," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1517-1536, September.
- Mottaleb Khondoker & Kaliappa Kalirajan, 2012.
"Determinants of Labor-Intensive Exports by the Developing Countries: A Cross Country Analysis,"
ASARC Working Papers
2012-09, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Mottaleb Khondoker & Kaliappa Kalirajan, 2012. "Determinants of Labor-intensive exports by the Developing Countries : A Cross Country Analysis," Trade Working Papers 23304, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Mottaleb Khondoker & Kaliappa Kalirajan, 2012. "Determinants of Labor-intensive exports by the Developing Countries : A Cross Country Analysis," EABER Working Papers 23304, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Jianqing Ruan & Xiaobo Zhang, 2009.
"Finance and Cluster-Based Industrial Development in China,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(1), pages 143-164, October.
- Ruan, Jianqing & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2008. "Finance and cluster-based industrial development in China:," IFPRI discussion papers 768, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Carlos Eduardo Lobo e Silva & Geoffrey J.D. Hewings, 2010. "A Decisão sobre Investimento em Capital Humano em um Arranjo Produtivo Local (APL): Uma Abordagem Teórica," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 64(1), pages 67-80, March.
- Gabriel R. G. Benito, 2005. "Divestment and international business strategy," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(2), pages 235-251, April.
- Ruan, Jianqing & Wei, Longbao & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2006. "Clustering as a Way to Lower Capital Barriers: The Case of the Cashmere Sweater Cluster in Zhejiang," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25280, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Peng-Fei Li & Harald Bathelt & Jici Wang, 2012. "Network dynamics and cluster evolution: changing trajectories of the aluminium extrusion industry in Dali, China," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 127-155, January.
- Huang, Zuhui & Zhang, Xiaobo & Zhu, Yunwei, 2006. "The Formation of Wenzhou Footwear Clusters: How Were the Entry Barriers Overcome?," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25371, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.