Evaluating Traditional Share-Price and Residual Demand Measures of Market Power in the Catsup Industry
In this paper we specify a price determination model which can test both the traditional positive interbrand price ? share hypothesis and the negative intrabrand relationship predicted by residual demand analysis. We evaluate this relationship empirically using three-dimensional panel data from the catsup industry. We find support for both hypothesized relationships, and conclude that market power exists in this industry. Further, we conclude that the results depend critically on the characteristics of the data set to be analyzed.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1376 Storrs Road, U-21, Storrs, Connecticut 06269-4021|
Web page: http://www.zwickcenter.uconn.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raymond Deneckere & Carl Davidson, 1985. "Incentives to Form Coalitions with Bertrand Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(4), pages 473-486, Winter.
- Cotterill, Ronald W. & Haller, Lawrence E., 1994.
"Market Strategies in Branded Dairy Product Markets,"
25149, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Ronald W. Cotterill & Lawrence E. Haller, 1994. "Market Strategies in Branded Dairy Product Markets," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 023, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Nelson, Philip & Siegfried, John J & Howell, John, 1992. "A Simultaneous Equations Model of Coffee Brand Pricing and Advertising," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(1), pages 54-63, February.
- Harris, Frederick H deB, 1988. "Testable Competing Hypotheses from Structure-Performance Theory: Efficient Structure versus Market Power," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 267-80, March.
- Nelson, Philip, 1974. "Advertising as Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 729-54, July/Aug..
- Cotterill, Ronald W, 1986. "Market Power in the Retail Food Industry: Evidence from Vermont," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(3), pages 379-86, August.
- Wills, Robert L., 1984. "Advertising and Quality as Sources of Price Heterogeneity Among Brands of Food Products," Working Papers 203001, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Food System Research Group.
- Connor, John M. & Peterson, Everett B., 1991.
"Market-Structure Determinants Of National Brand-Private Label Price Differences Of Manufactured Food Products,"
116099, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Connor, John M & Peterson, Everett B, 1992. "Market-Structure Determinants of National Brand-Private Label Price Differences of Manufactured Food Products," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 157-71, June.
- Cotterill, Ronald W., 1994. "Scanner Data: New Opportunities For Demand And Competitive Strategy Analysis," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 23(2), October.
- Baker, Jonathan B. & Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1988. "Estimating the residual demand curve facing a single firm," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 283-300.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zwi:fpcrep:031. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.