Backwards integration and strategic delegation
We analyze the effects of downstream firms' acquisition of pure cash flow rights in an efficient upstream supplier when all firms compete in prices. With an acquisition, downstream firms internalize the effects of their actions on their rivals' sales. Double marginalization is enhanced. Whereas full vertical integration would lead to decreasing, passive backwards ownership leads to increasing downstream prices and is more profitable, as long as competition is sufficiently intensive. Downstream acquirers strategically abstain from vertical control, inducing the efficient supplier to commit to high prices. All results are sustained when upstream suppliers are allowed to charge two part tariffs.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc Bourreau & Johan Hombert & Jérôme Pouyet & Nicolas Schutz, 2009. "Upstream Competition between Vertically Integrated Firms," PSE Working Papers hal-00440126, HAL.
- Karle, Heiko & Klein, Tobias J. & Stahl, Konrad O., 2011.
"Ownership and control in a competitive industry,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
11-071, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Karle, Heiko & Klein, Tobias & Stahl, Konrad, 2011. "Ownership and Control in a Competitive Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 8277, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heiko Karle & Tobias J. Klein & Konrad O. Stahl, 2011. "Ownership and Control in a Competitive Industry," CESifo Working Paper Series 3380, CESifo Group Munich.
- Karle, H. & Klein, T.J. & Stahl, K.O., 2011. "Ownership and Control in a Competitive Industry," Discussion Paper 2011-026, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Karle, Heiko & Klein, Tobias J. & Stahl, Konrad O., 2011. "Ownership and Control in a Competitive Industry," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 350, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00440126 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chen, Yongmin, 2001.
"On Vertical Mergers and Their Competitive Effects,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(4), pages 667-85, Winter.
- Yongmin Chen, 2000. "On Vertical Mergers and Their Competitive Effects," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0383, Econometric Society.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:2011026 is not listed on IDEAS
- Guth, Werner & Nikiforakis, Nikos & Normann, Hans-Theo, 2007.
"Vertical cross-shareholding: Theory and experimental evidence,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 69-89, February.
- Werner Güth & Nikos Nikiforakis & Hans-Theo Normann, 2005. "Vertical Cross-Shareholding Theory and Experimental Evidence," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2005-11, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Michael D. Whinston, 1985. "Common Marketing Agency as a Device for Facilitating Collusion," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(2), pages 269-281, Summer.
- Marc Bourreau & Johan Hombert & Jerome Pouyet & Nicolas Schutz, 2011. "Upstream Competition between Vertically Integrated Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(4), pages 677-713, December.
- Jeffrey W. Allen & Gordon M. Phillips, 2000. "Corporate Equity Ownership, Strategic Alliances, and Product Market Relationships," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2791-2815, December.
- Bonanno, Giacomo & Vickers, John, 1988. "Vertical Separation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 257-65, March.
- Allain, Marie-Laure & Chambolle, Claire & Rey, Patrick, 2011.
"Vertical Integration, Information and Foreclosure,"
TSE Working Papers
11-237, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised Nov 2011.
- Felix Höffler & Sebastian Kranz, 2011.
"Imperfect legal unbundling of monopolistic bottlenecks,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 273-292, June.
- Felix Höffler & Sebastian Kranz, 2007. "Imperfect Legal Unbundling of Monopolistic Bottlenecks," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse16_2007, University of Bonn, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:12022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.