Backwards integration and strategic delegation
We analyze the effects of downstream firms' acquisition of pure cash flow rights in an efficient upstream supplier when all firms compete in prices. With an acquisition, downstream firms internalize the effects of their actions on their rivals' sales. Double marginalization is enhanced. Whereas full vertical integration would lead to decreasing, passive backwards ownership leads to increasing downstream prices and is more profitable, as long as competition is sufficiently intensive. Downstream acquirers strategically abstain from vertical control, inducing the efficient supplier to commit to high prices. All results are sustained when upstream suppliers are allowed to charge two part tariffs.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karle, Heiko & Klein, Tobias & Stahl, Konrad, 2011.
"Ownership and Control in a Competitive Industry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8277, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karle, H. & Klein, T.J. & Stahl, K.O., 2011. "Ownership and Control in a Competitive Industry," Discussion Paper 2011-026, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Karle, Heiko & Klein, Tobias J. & Stahl, Konrad O., 2011. "Ownership and Control in a Competitive Industry," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 350, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Heiko Karle & Tobias J. Klein & Konrad O. Stahl, 2011. "Ownership and Control in a Competitive Industry," CESifo Working Paper Series 3380, CESifo Group Munich.
- Karle, Heiko & Klein, Tobias J. & Stahl, Konrad O., 2011. "Ownership and control in a competitive industry," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-071, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Allain, Marie-Laure & Chambolle, Claire & Rey, Patrick, 2011.
"Vertical Integration, Information and Foreclosure,"
TSE Working Papers
11-237, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised Nov 2011.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00440126 is not listed on IDEAS
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Michael D. Whinston, 1985. "Common Marketing Agency as a Device for Facilitating Collusion," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(2), pages 269-281, Summer.
- Yongmin Chen, 2000.
"On Vertical Mergers and Their Competitive Effects,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0383, Econometric Society.
- Werner Güth & Nikos Nikiforakis & Hans-Theo Normann, 2005.
"Vertical Cross-Shareholding Theory and Experimental Evidence,"
Papers on Strategic Interaction
2005-11, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Guth, Werner & Nikiforakis, Nikos & Normann, Hans-Theo, 2007. "Vertical cross-shareholding: Theory and experimental evidence," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 69-89, February.
- Felix Höffler & Sebastian Kranz, 2011.
"Imperfect legal unbundling of monopolistic bottlenecks,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 273-292, June.
- Felix Höffler & Sebastian Kranz, 2007. "Imperfect Legal Unbundling of Monopolistic Bottlenecks," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse16_2007, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Marc Bourreau & Johan Hombert & Jérôme Pouyet & Nicolas Schutz, 2011.
"Upstream Competition between Vertically Integrated Firms,"
- Marc Bourreau & Johan Hombert & Jerome Pouyet & Nicolas Schutz, 2011. "Upstream Competition between Vertically Integrated Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(4), pages 677-713, December.
- Marc Bourreau & Johan Hombert & Jérôme Pouyet & Nicolas Schutz, 2010. "Upstream Competition between Vertically Integrated Firms," PSE Working Papers hal-00440126, HAL.
- Bonanno, Giacomo & Vickers, John, 1988. "Vertical Separation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 257-265, March.
- Jeffrey W. Allen & Gordon M. Phillips, 2000. "Corporate Equity Ownership, Strategic Alliances, and Product Market Relationships," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2791-2815, December.
- Sandonis, Joel & Fauli-Oller, Ramon, 2006. "On the competitive effects of vertical integration by a research laboratory," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 715-731, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:12022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.