Upstream Competition between Vertically Integrated Firms
We propose a model of two-tier competition between vertically integrated firms and unintegrated downstream firms. We show that, even when integrated firms compete in prices to offer a homogeneous input, the Bertrand result may not obtain, and the input may be priced above marginal cost in equilibrium, which is detrimental to consumers' surplus and social welfare. We obtain that these partial foreclosure equilibria are more likely to exist when downstream competition is fierce. We then use our model to assess the impact of several regulatory tools in the telecommunications industry.
|Date of creation:||07 Jul 2010|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00440126v2|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sandonis, Joel & Fauli-Oller, Ramon, 2006. "On the competitive effects of vertical integration by a research laboratory," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 715-731, July.
- Nocke, Volker & White, Lucy, 2004.
"Do Vertical Mergers Facilitate Upstream Collusion?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4186, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Volker Nocke & Lucy White, 2007. "Do Vertical Mergers Facilitate Upstream Collusion?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(4), pages 1321-1339, September.
- Lucy White & Volker Nocke, 2004. "Do Vertical Mergers Facilitate Upstream Collusion?," 2004 Meeting Papers 45, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Volker Nocke & Lucy White, 2003. "Do Vertical Mergers Facilitate Upstream Collusion?," PIER Working Paper Archive 03-033, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Höffler, Felix & Schmidt, Klaus M., 2007.
"Two Tales on Resale,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
198, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Duarte Brito & Pedro Pereira, 2010.
"Access to Bottleneck Inputs under Oligopoly: A Prisoners’ Dilemma?,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 660-677, January.
- Duarte Brito & Pedro Pereira, 2006. "Access to Bottleneck Inputs under Oligopoly: a Prisoners Dilemma?," Working Papers 16, Portuguese Competition Authority.
- Marc Bourreau & Johan Hombert & Jérôme Pouyet & Nicolas Schutz, 2010.
"Upstream Competition between Vertically Integrated Firms,"
PSE Working Papers
- Marc Bourreau & Johan Hombert & Jerome Pouyet & Nicolas Schutz, 2011. "Upstream Competition between Vertically Integrated Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(4), pages 677-713, December.
- Marc Bourreau & Johan Hombert & Jérôme Pouyet & Nicolas Schutz, 2011. "Upstream Competition between Vertically Integrated Firms," Post-Print hal-00656608, HAL.
- Fauli-Oller, Ramon & Sandonis, Joel, 2002.
"Welfare reducing licensing,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 192-205, November.
- Michael A. Salinger, 1988. "Vertical Mergers and Market Foreclosure," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(2), pages 345-356.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026272040x, December.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00440126 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 2001. "Competition in Telecommunications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262621509, December.
- David E. M Sappington, 2005. "On the Irrelevance of Input Prices for Make-or-Buy Decisions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1631-1638, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:psewpa:hal-00440126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.