How does EU cohesion policy work? Evaluating its effects on fiscal outcome variables
The impact of EU Cohesion Policy has mainly been evaluated with regard to its growth effects. We extend the perspective by investigating the impact of EU Cohesion Policy on public investments and budget deficits in order to learn more about the channels through which this policy field works. Using a dataset of 27 EU countries for the time period 1982-2006, we find that EU Cohesion Policy payments do not cause public investments to increase significantly, which points to a crowding out of national investment. Moreover, the hypothesis that EU Cohesion Policy is used for the consolidation of public budgets cannot be completely rejected.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alesina, Alberto F & Tabellini, Guido, 1988.
"Voting on the Budget Deficit,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
269, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Alesina & Guido Tabellini, 1988. "Voting on the Budget Deficit," NBER Working Papers 2759, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido Tabellini & Alberto Alesina, 1988. "Voting on the Budget Deficit," UCLA Economics Working Papers 539, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Tabellini, Guido & Alesina, Alberto, 1990. "Voting on the Budget Deficit," Scholarly Articles 4553030, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May.
- Lucchetti, Riccardo & Papi, Luca & Zazzaro, Alberto, 2001.
"Banks' Inefficiency and Economic Growth: A Micro-Macro Approach,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 48(4), pages 400-424, September.
- Riccardo Lucchetti & Luca Papi & Alberto Zazzaro, 2001. "Banks´ Inefficiency and Economic Growth A Micro-Macro Approach," Development Working Papers 153, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Riccardo Lucchetti & Luca Papi & Alberto Zazzaro, 2000. "Banks' inefficiency and economic growth: a micro-macro approach," Heterogeneity and monetary policy 0004, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia Politica.
- Beugelsdijk, S. & Eijffinger, S.C.W., 2005.
"The effectiveness of structural policy in the European Union : An empirical analysis for the EU-15 in 1995-2001,"
Other publications TiSEM
c3ca201b-f33b-4ce0-a1f2-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Maaike Beugelsdijk & Sylvester C.W. Eijffinger, 2005. "The Effectiveness of Structural Policy in the European Union: An Empirical Analysis for the EU-15 in 1995-2001," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 37-51, 03.
- Sjef Ederveen & Henri L . F. Groot & Richard Nahuis, 2006.
"Fertile Soil for Structural Funds?A Panel Data Analysis of the Conditional Effectiveness of European Cohesion Policy,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 17-42, 02.
- Sjef Ederveen & Henri de Groot & Richard Nahuis, 2002. "Fertile soil for structural funds? A panel data analysis of the conditional effectiveness of European cohesion policy," CPB Discussion Paper 10, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- S. Ederveen & H.L.F. de Groot & R. Nahuis, 2003. "Fertile Soil for Structural Funds? A panel data analysis of the conditional effectiveness of European cohesion policy," Working Papers 03-14, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Jesus Crespo Cuaresma & Doris Ritzberger-Grunwald & Maria Antoinette Silgoner, 2008.
"Growth, convergence and EU membership,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(5), pages 643-656.
- Henning Bohn, 1998. "The Behavior of U. S. Public Debt and Deficits," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(3), pages 949-963.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- L. Nunziata, 2002.
"Institutions and Wage Determination: A Multi-Country Approach,"
433, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Luca Nunziata, 2005. "Institutions and Wage Determination: a Multi-country Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(4), pages 435-466, 08.
- Luca Nunziata, 2001. "Institutions and Wage Determination: a Multi-Country Approach," Economics Papers 2001-W29, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Sandy Dall’erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2007.
"The Impact of EU Regional Support on Growth and Employment,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver),
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 57(7-8), pages 324-340, September.
- Sandy Dall'Erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2007. "The impact of EU regional support on growth and employment," Post-Print hal-00485024, HAL.
- Aaron Mehrotra & Timo Välilä, 2006. "Public Investment in Europe: Evolution and Determinants in perspective," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 27(4), pages 443-471, December.
- Daniel Hoechle, 2007. "Robust standard errors for panel regressions with cross-sectional dependence," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(3), pages 281-312, September.
- Mohl, Philipp & Hagen, Tobias, 2008. "Does EU Cohesion Policy Promote Growth? Evidence from Regional Data and Alternative Econometric Approaches," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-086, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1995.
"On bias, inconsistency, and efficiency of various estimators in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Tom Doan, . "LSDVC: RATS procedure to estimate a dynamic FE model with correction for bias," Statistical Software Components RTS00111, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Cornelius Baehr, 2006.
"How Does Sub-National Autonomy Affect the Effectiveness of Structural Funds?,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa06p470, European Regional Science Association.
- Cornelius Bähr, 2008. "How does Sub-National Autonomy Affect the Effectiveness of Structural Funds?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 3-18, 02.
- John C. Driscoll & Aart C. Kraay, 1998. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation With Spatially Dependent Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 549-560, November.
- Min Shi & Jakob Svensson, 2003. "Political Budget Cycles: A Review of Recent Developments," Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, vol. 29, pages 67-76.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
- Roberto Esposti & Stefania Bussoletti, 2008. "Impact of Objective 1 Funds on Regional Growth Convergence in the European Union: A Panel-data Approach," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 159-173.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:09051. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.