Exchange rate regimes in the transition economies: Case study of the Czech Republic: 1990-1997
In this paper we re-examine the experience of the Czech Republic with the exchange rate regime during the period 1990-97. We review arguments for and against choosing a peg as they appeared in the early 1990s. Then, we evaluate the success of the peg in curbing inflationary pressures stemming from price liberalization. We also show some of its unpleasant consequences. In the second part of the paper we discuss the macroecononomic precedents which most likely led to the abandoning of the peg in May 1997. Finally, we present some thoughts on possible exchange rate developments, especially with respect to a potential future membership in the European Monetary Union.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.zei.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Horvath, Julius & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 1999.
"Stability of Monetary Unions: Lessons from the Break-up of Czechoslovakia,"
Transition Economics Series
10, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Horvath, Julius & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 1999. "Stability of monetary unions: Lessons from the break-up of Czechoslovakia," ZEI Working Papers B 17-1999, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Fidrmuc, J. & Horváth, J., 1998. "Stability of Monetary Unions : Lessons from the Break-Up of Czechoslovakia," Discussion Paper 1998-74, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria & Razin, Assaf, 1996. "Persistent Current Account Deficits: A Warning Signal?," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(3), pages 161-81, July.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1997.
"Leading indicators of currency crises,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1852, The World Bank.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, June.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:199874 is not listed on IDEAS
- William Poole, 1969.
"Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model,"
Special Studies Papers
2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Poole, William, 1970. "Optimal Choice of Monetary Policy Instruments in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 197-216, May.
- William Poole, 1970. "Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model," Staff Studies 57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Katerina Smidkova, 2003. "Estimating the FEER for the Czech Economy," Macroeconomics 0303014, EconWPA.
- Begg, David, 1998.
"Pegging Out: Lessons from the Czech Exchange Rate Crisis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1956, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Begg, David, 1998. "Pegging Out: Lessons from the Czech Exchange Rate Crisis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 669-690, December.
- C. Fred Bergsten & John Williamson, 1990. "Currency convertibility in Eastern Europe," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 35-49.
- Begg, David, 1997. "Monetary Policy during Transition: Progress and Pitfalls in Central and Eastern Europe, 1990-6," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 33-46, Summer.
- George S. Tavlas, 1993. "The ‘New’ Theory of Optimum Currency Areas," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(6), pages 663-685, November.
- Funke, Michael, 1997. "The Nature of Shocks in Europe and in Germany," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(255), pages 461-69, August.
- Drabek, Zdenek & Brada, Josef C., 1998.
"Exchange Rate Regimes and the Stability of Trade Policy in Transition Economies,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 642-668, December.
- Drabek, Zdenek & Brada, Josef C., 1998. "Exchange rate regimes and the stability of trade policy in transition economies," WTO Staff Working Papers ERAD-98-07, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Vanhaverbeke, Wim, 1991. "Is Europe an Optimum Currency Area? Evidence from Regional Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 555, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter Kenen, 1996. "Analyzing and managing exchange-rate crises," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 469-492, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zeiwps:b111998. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.