Opposites attract: The case of Greek and Turkish financial markets
We investigate the presence of financial linkages between Turkey and Greece. In particular, we estimate bivariate vector error correction systems between the Greek and Turkish stock markets and then between the Greek Drachma and the Turkish Lira to test for long and short run causality and interdependence. The findings indicate that interdependence and a long-run causal relationship are indeed present. Given the apparent evidence for nominal linkages, we test a number of possible propagation mechanisms that could produce these linkages, such as real linkages, trade linkages, common balance of payments shocks, and contagion. Our findings suggest that the observed comovement of the two markets can be primarily attributed to the increased real integration of both countries, as well as the fact that they share a common set of trade and FDI partners. We also find evidence of contagion effects between the Drachma and Lira markets, but not between the stock markets. Finally, we conclude with a discussion of the implications of our findings.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Walter-Flex-Straße 3, D - 53113 Bonn|
Web page: http://www.zei.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Smets, Frank, 1994.
"Contagious Speculative Attacks,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1055, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alexakis, Panayotis & Petrakis, Panayotis, 1991. "Analysing stock market behaviour in a small capital market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 471-483, June.
- Carlo Favero & Alessandra Bonfiglioli, .
"Measuring Co-movements Between US and European Stock Markets,"
165, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Bonfiglioli, Alessandra & Favero, Carlo A., 2000. "Measuring Co-Movements Between US and European Stock Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 2517, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-72, August.
- Granger, Clive W J, 1986. "Developments in the Study of Cointegrated Economic Variables," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 213-28, August.
- John Barkoulas & Christopher Baum & Nickolaos Travlos, 2000.
"Long memory in the Greek stock market,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 177-184.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 1992. "Granger-causality in cointegrated VAR processes The case of the term structure," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 263-268, November.
- Muradoglu, Yaz Gulnur & Metin, Kivilcim, 1996. "Efficiency of the Turkish Stock Exchange with respect to monetary variables: A cointegration analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 566-576, May.
- Antonis Demos & Sofia Parissi, 1998. "Testing Asset Pricing Models: The Case of Athens Stock Exchange," Multinational Finance Journal, Multinational Finance Journal, vol. 2(3), pages 189-223, September.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Rose, Andrew K & Wyplosz, Charles, 1996.
"Contagious Currency Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1453, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Basci, Erdem & Ozyildirim, Suheyla & Aydogan, Kursat, 1996. "A note on price-volume dynamics in an emerging stock market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 389-400, March.
- Fleming, Jeff & Kirby, Chris & Ostdiek, Barbara, 1998. "Information and volatility linkages in the stock, bond, and money markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 111-137, July.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Nickolaos V. Tsangarakis, 1996. "Shareholder Wealth Effects of Equity Issues in Emerging Markets: Evidence from Rights Offerings in Greece," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 25(3), Fall.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- Ericsson, Neil R., 1992.
"Cointegration, exogeneity, and policy analysis: An overview,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 251-280, June.
- Neil R. Ericsson, 1991. "Cointegration, exogeneity, and policy analysis: an overview," International Finance Discussion Papers 415, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Georgios E. Chortareas & John B. McDermott & Titos E. Ritsatos, 2000. "Stock Market Volatility in an Emerging Market: Further Evidence from the Athens Stock Exchange," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(7&8), pages 983-1002.
- Nikitas Niarchos & Christos Alexakis, 1998. "Stock market prices, 'causality' and efficiency: evidence from the Athens stock exchange," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 167-174.
- Roberto Rigobon, 1999. "On the Measurement of the International Propagation of Shocks," NBER Working Papers 7354, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Coutts & Christos Kaplanidis & Jennifer Roberts, 2000. "Security price anomalies in an emerging market: the case of the Athens Stock Exchange," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 561-571.
- T. C. Mills & C. Siriopoulos & R. N. Markellos & D. Harizanis, 2000. "Seasonality in the Athens stock exchange," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 137-142.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zeiwps:b062001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.