William Poole in der modernen Makroökonomik: Exegese des ursprünglichen Beitrags und seiner Fortentwicklungen für die offene Volkswirtschaft
Given all the evidence supporting Milton Friedman's proposition that inflation is now and everywhere a monetary phenomenon, it seems that we are wrong when we tend to ignore the behaviour of the monetary aggregates at our peril. The total neglect of information about the monetary aggregates in the Taylor rule is possibly a strong signal into that erroneous direction. Moreover, so-called "New Keynesianism" has put forward that there is no more need to treat the money market equilibrium in an "LM-setting". Our paper goes back to William Poole's seminal paper on interest rate and money supply rules and extends his earlier work to the open economy, various types of shocks and to the analysis of cooperative and non-cooperative behaviour of central banks. The results achieved confirm that the inclusion of the money market equilibrium enhances the possibilities to compare the costs and benefits of different monetary policy strategies under cooperative or non-cooperative behaviour.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49(0)89 - 6004-4239
Fax: +49(0)89 - 6014693
Web page: http://wow.w3.rz.unibw-muenchen.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sell, Friedrich L., 2004. "Währungspolitik im Dienste von Entwicklung : Immer noch ein Forschungsprogramm!," Working Papers in Economics 2004,2, Universität der Bundeswehr München, Economic Research Group.
- Friedman, Benjamin M., 1990. "Targets and instruments of monetary policy," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1185-1230 Elsevier.
- Guender, Alfred V. & Tam, Julie, 2004. "On the performance of nominal income targeting as a strategy for monetary policy in a small open economy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 143-163, March.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri & Dale W. Henderson & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1981.
"The information content of the interest rate and optimal monetary policy,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
192, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Henderson, Dale W & Rogoff, Kenneth S, 1983. "The Information Content of the Interest Rate and Optimal Monetary Policy," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(4), pages 545-66, November.
- Lai, Ching-chong & Chen, Shu-hua & Shaw, Ming-fu, 2005. "Nominal income targeting versus money growth targeting in an endogenously growing economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 359-366, March.
- Michael Dotsey & Robert G. King, 1984.
"Informational implications of interest rate rules,"
84-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Collard, Fabrice & Dellas, Harris & Ertz, Guy, 1998.
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1998023, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Collard, Fabrice & Dellas, Harris, 2005.
"Poole in the New Keynesian model,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 887-907, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ubwwpe:20063. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.