We study the properties of alternative central bank targeting procedures in a general equilibrium, monetary model with labor contracts, endogenous velocity and three shocks: money demand, supply and fiscal. Money demand -velocity- shocks emerge as the main source of macroeconomic volatility. Consequently, nominal interest rate targeting results in greater stability than money targeting. Interestingly this holds independent of the type of the shock (unlike Poole). Interest rate targeting also generates a substantially higher level of welfare.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: https://uclouvain.be/en/research-institutes/immaq/ires
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mccallum, Bennet T., 1988. "Robustness properties of a rule for monetary policy," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 173-203, January.
- Carlstrom, Charles T. & Fuerst, Timothy S., 1995.
"Interest rate rules vs. money growth rules a welfare comparison in a cash-in-advance economy,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 247-267, November.
- Charles T. Carlstrom & Timothy S. Fuerst, 1995. "Interest rate rules vs. money growth rules: a welfare comparison in a cash-in-advance economy," Working Paper 9504, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B. & Dellas, Harris, 1998. "Real interest rates and central bank operating procedures," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 471-494, October.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Dellas, Harris, 1995. "Real Interest Rates and Central Bank Operating Procedures," CEPR Discussion Papers 1099, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Dellas, Harris, 1996. " Monetary Integration in Europe: Implications for Real Interest Rates and Stock Markets," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(4), pages 541-547, December.
- Gray, Jo Anna, 1976. "Wage indexation: A macroeconomic approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 221-235, April.
- Marvin Goodfriend & David H. Small(), 1993. "Operating procedures and the conduct of monetary policy: conference proceedings," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)