The Lorenz curve in economics and econometrics
This paper surveys selected applications of the Lorenz curve and related stochastic orders in economics and econometrics, with a bias towards problems in statistical distribution theory. These include characterizations of income distributions in terms of families of inequality measures, Lorenz ordering of multiparameter distributions in terms of their parameters, probability inequalities for distributions of quadratic forms, and Condorcet jury theorems.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Vogelpothsweg 78, D-44221 Dortmund|
Phone: (0231) 755-3125
Fax: (0231) 755-5284
Web page: http://www.statistik.tu-dortmund.de/sfb475.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kleiber, Christian, 2002. "Lorenz ordering of order statistics from log-logistic and related distributions," Technical Reports 2002,09, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1980. "A single-parameter generalization of the Gini indices of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Samuel Kotz & Christian Kleiber, 2002. "A characterization of income distributions in terms of generalized Gini coefficients," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 19(4), pages 789-794.
- Singh, S K & Maddala, G S, 1976. "A Function for Size Distribution of Incomes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 963-970, September.
- McDonald, James B, 1984. "Some Generalized Functions for the Size Distribution of Income," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 647-663, May.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Sen, Amartya, 1973. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198281931.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1983. "On an Extension of the Gini Inequality Index," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(3), pages 617-628, October.
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1983.
"Ethically flexible gini indices for income distributions in the continuum,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 353-358, April.
- DONALDSON, David & WEYMARK, John A., "undated". "Ethically flexible Gini indices for income distributions in the continuum," CORE Discussion Papers RP 520, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fellman, J, 1976. "The Effect of Transformations on Lorenz Curves," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 823-824, July.
- Kakwani, Nanak C, 1977. "Applications of Lorenz Curves in Economic Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 719-727, April.
- Arnold, Barry C, 1990. "The Lorenz Order and the Effects of Taxation Policies," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 249-264, October.
- Laurent Derobert & Guillaume Thieriot, 2003. "The Lorenz curve as an archetype: A historico-epistemological study," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 573-585.
- Ramos, Hector M. & Ollero, Jorge & Sordo, Miguel A., 2000. "A Sufficient Condition for Generalized Lorenz Order," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 286-292, February.
- Wilfling, Bernd & Kramer, Walter, 1993. "The Lorenz-ordering of Singh-Maddala income distributions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 53-57.
- Christian Kleiber & Walter Kraemer, 2000. "Efficiency, Equity, and Generalized Lorenz Dominance," CESifo Working Paper Series 343, CESifo Group Munich.
- Muliere, Pietro & Scarsini, Marco, 1989. "A note on stochastic dominance and inequality measures," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 314-323, December.
- Marco Scarsini & Pietro Muliere, 1989. "A note on stochastic dominance and inequality measures," Post-Print hal-00542231, HAL.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Kleiber, Christian, 2002. "Variability ordering of heavy-tailed distributions with applications to order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 381-388, July.
- Kleiber, Christian, 1996. "Dagum vs. Singh-Maddala income distributions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 265-268, December.
- Rolf Aaberge, 2000. "Characterizations of Lorenz curves and income distributions," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 17(4), pages 639-653.
- Jakobsson, Ulf, 1976. "On the measurement of the degree of progression," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1-2), pages 161-168.
- Gastwirth, Joseph L, 1971. "A General Definition of the Lorenz Curve," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(6), pages 1037-1039, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)