Nonparametric Analysis of Covariance : the Case of Inhomogeneous and Heteroscedastic Noise
The purpose of this paper is to propose a procedure for testing the equality of several regression curves fi in nonparametric regression models when the noise is inhomogeneous. This extends work of Dette and Neumeyer (2001) and it is shown that the new test is asymptotically uniformly more powerful. The presented approach is very natural because it transfers the maximum likelihood statistic from a heteroscedastic one way ANOVA to the context of nonparametric regression. The maximum likelihood estimators will be replaced by kernel estimators of the regression functions fi. It is shown that the asymptotic distribution of the obtained test statistic is nuisance parameter free. Finally, for practical purposes a bootstrap variant is suggested. In a simulation study, level and power of this test will be briefly investigated. In summary, our theoretical findings are supported by this study.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0231) 755-3125
Fax: (0231) 755-5284
Web page: http://www.statistik.tu-dortmund.de/sfb475.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Delgado, Miguel A., 1993. "Testing the equality of nonparametric regression curves," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 199-204, June.
- Gørgens, Tue, 2002. "Nonparametric comparison of regression curves by local linear fitting," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 81-89, November.
- Yatchew, A., 1999. "An elementary nonparametric differencing test of equality of regression functions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 271-278, March.
- Weerahandi, Samaradasa, 1987. "Testing Regression Equality with Unequal Variances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1211-15, September.
- Wolfgang HÄRDLE & A. TSYBAKOV, 1995.
"Local Polynomial Estimators of the Volatility Function in Nonparametric Autoregression,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1995,42, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Hardle, W. & Tsybakov, A., 1997. "Local polynomial estimators of the volatility function in nonparametric autoregression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 223-242, November.
- Lavergne, Pascal, 2001.
"An equality test across nonparametric regressions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 307-344, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:sfb475:200428. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.