Fiscal divergence, current account and TARGET2 imbalances in the EMU
The paper scrutinizes the reasons for the European debt crisis, the implications for TARGET2 imbalances and options for surplus liquidity absorption within an asymmetric EMU. It is argued that starting from the turn of the millennium diverging fiscal policy paths and diverging unit labour costs were the driving force of rising intra-European current account imbalances within the euro area, which were enhanced by post-2001 low interest rate policies and changing financing conditions for the German banking sector. The paper shows how since the outbreak of the crisis the adjustment of intra-EMU current account imbalances is postponed by a rising divergence of TARGET2 balances, as the repatriation of private international credit and deposit flight from the crisis economies is substituted by central bank credit. Given that this process has brought Deutsche Bundesbank into a debtor position to the domestic financial system, we discuss options for liquidity absorption by Deutsche Bundesbank to forestall asset price bubbles in Germany.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.wifa.uni-leipzig.de/en/dekanat.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schnabl, Gunther & Zemanek, Holger, 2011.
"Inter-Temporal Savings, Current Account Dynamics and Asymmetric Shocks in a Heterogeneous European Monetary Union,"
Annual Conference 2011 (Frankfurt, Main): The Order of the World Economy - Lessons from the Crisis
48685, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Gunther Schnabl & Holger Zemanek, 2010. "Inter-temporal Savings, Current Account Dynamics and Asymmetric Shocks in a Heterogeneous European Monetary Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 3279, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 1996.
"Interbank lending and systemic risk,"
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 733-765.
- Michael Woodford & Vasco Curdia, 2010.
"The Central Bank's Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy,"
2010 Meeting Papers
136, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Cúrdia, Vasco & Woodford, Michael, 2011. "The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetarypolicy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 54-79, January.
- Vasco Cúrdia & Michael Woodford, 2010. "The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetary policy," Staff Reports 463, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Vasco Curdia & Michael Woodford, 2010. "The Central-Bank Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 16208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Axel Löffler & Gunther Schnabl & Franziska Schobert, 2010. "Inflation Targeting by Debtor Central Banks in Emerging Market Economies," CESifo Working Paper Series 3138, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Timo Wollmershaeuser, 2011.
"Target Loans, Current Account Balances and Capital Flows: The ECB's Rescue Facility,"
NBER Working Papers
17626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2012. "Target loans, current account balances and capital flows: the ECB’s rescue facility," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 468-508, August.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner & Wollmershäuser, Timo, 2012. "Target loans, current account balances and capital flows: The ECB’s rescue facility," Munich Reprints in Economics 19556, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2011. "Target Loans, Current Account Balances and Capital Flows: The ECB’s Rescue Facility," CESifo Working Paper Series 3500, CESifo Group Munich.
- Abad, José M & Loeffler, Axel & Zemanek, Holger, 2011.
"TARGET2 Unlimited: Monetary Policy Implications of Asymmetric Liquidity Management within the Euro Area,"
31937, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abad, José M. & Löffler, Axel & Zemanek, Holger, 2011. "TARGET2 Unlimited: Monetary Policy Implications of Asymmetric Liquidity Management within the Euro Area," CEPS Papers 5904, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Todd Keister & Antoine Martin & James McAndrews, 2008. "Divorcing money from monetary policy," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sep, pages 41-56.
- Helge Berger & Volker Nitsch, 2010. "The Euroâ€™s Effecton Trade Imbalances," IMF Working Papers 10/226, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:leiwps:105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.