Exploring mobile pricing strategies and innovations in the Thai mobile communications market
This paper aims to explore the price plans offered by Thai mobile operators and analyse the role of demand characteristics in the development of new price plans. The paper also shows how demand affects a firm's degree of innovativeness in terms of the number of new price plans. The empirical qualitative analysis is based on an original data set from several secondary data sources and includes all the price plans offered in the history of the Thai mobile communications market between 2002 and 2010. The results show that mobile operators have introduced several innovative price plans to attract and retain their consumers. Although a greater number of price plans can increase competition among operators, some have complex combinations that may lead to confusion for consumers. A price comparison programme should therefore be implemented by the telecom regulator to ensure that consumers receive correct and complete information about the price plans. Most studies, by far, have not extensively discussed this mobile communications market in detail and the effect of innovation on competition between firms in the mobile communications industry, in particular the development of innovation in developing countries.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.itsworld.org/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicoletta Corrocher & Lorenzo Zirulia, 2007.
"Demand and Innovation in Services: the Case of Mobile Communications,"
KITeS Working Papers
199, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Mar 2007.
- Corrocher, Nicoletta & Zirulia, Lorenzo, 2010. "Demand and innovation in services: The case of mobile communications," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 945-955, September.
- Fu, W. Wayne, 2004. "Termination-discriminatory pricing, subscriber bandwagons, and network traffic patterns: the Taiwanese mobile phone market," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 5-22, February.
- Koski, Heli & Kretschmer, Tobias, 2002.
"Entry, Standards and Competition : Firm Strategies and the Diffusion of Mobile Telephony,"
824, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Heli Koski & Tobias Kretschmer, 2004. "Entry, Standards and Competition: Firm Strategies and the Diffusion of Mobile Telephony," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 89-113, November.
- Heli Koski & Tobias Kretschmer, 2005. "Entry, standards and competition : firm strategies and the diffusion of mobile telephony," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 801, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gans, Joshua S. & King, Stephen P., 2001.
"Using 'bill and keep' interconnect arrangements to soften network competition,"
Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 413-420, June.
- Gans, J.S. & King, S.P., 2000. "Using 'Bill and Keep' Interconnect Arrangements to Soften Network Competiti on," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 739, The University of Melbourne.
- Roberto Fontana & Marco Guerzoni, 2008.
"Incentives and uncertainty: an empirical analysis of the impact of demand on innovation,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 32(6), pages 927-946, November.
- Roberto Fontana & Marco Guerzoni, 2007. "Incentives and uncertainty: an empirical analysis of the impact of demand on innovation," SPRU Working Paper Series 163, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Whang, Yun-kyung & Hobday, Michael, 2011. "Local 'Test Bed' Market Demand in the Transition to Leadership: The Case of the Korean Mobile Handset Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1358-1371, August.
- Steven Klepper & Franco Malerba, 2010. "Demand, innovation and industrial dynamics: an introduction," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(5), pages 1515-1520, October.
- Pamela D. Morrison & John H. Roberts & Eric von Hippel, 2000. "Determinants of User Innovation and Innovation Sharing in a Local Market," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(12), pages 1513-1527, December.
- Eugenio J. Miravete & Lars-Hendrik Röller, 2004. "Estimating Price-Cost Markups Under Nonlinear Pricing Competition," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(2-3), pages 526-535, 04/05.
- Pratompong Srinuan & Erik Bohlin & Gary Madden, 2012. "The determinants of mobile subscriber retention in Sweden," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(5), pages 453-457, March.
- Simona Fabrizi, 2011. "Asymmetric Upgrading of Mobile Services: A Demand-Side Explanation," International Journal of E-Business Research (IJEBR), IGI Global, vol. 7(3), pages 79-91, July.
- Eugenio J. Miravete, 2003. "Choosing the Wrong Calling Plan? Ignorance and Learning," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 297-310, March.
- Grajek, Michal, 2010. "Estimating network effects and compatibility: Evidence from the Polish mobile market," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 130-143, May.
- Faïz Gallouj & Olivier Weinstein, 1997.
"Innovation in services,"
- Ron Adner & Daniel Levinthal, 2001. "Demand Heterogeneity and Technology Evolution: Implications for Product and Process Innovation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(5), pages 611-628, May.
- Miravete, Eugenio, 2007. "The Limited Gains From Complex Tariffs," Working Paper Series 3971, Victoria University of Wellington, The New Zealand Institute for the Study of Competition and Regulation.
- Srinuan, Chalita & Srinuan, Pratompong & Bohlin, Erik, 2011. "An analysis of mobile internet service in Thailand: Implications for bridging digital divide," 8th Asia-Pacific Regional ITS Conference, Taipei 2011: Convergence in the Digital Age 52326, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Eric von Hippel, 1986. "Lead Users: A Source of Novel Product Concepts," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(7), pages 791-805, July.
- Cantner Uwe & Guerzoni Marco, 2009. "Innovation Driving Industrial Dynamics. Between Incentives and Knowledge," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 481-510.
- Marco Guerzoni, 2010. "The impact of market size and users' sophistication on innovation: the patterns of demand," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 113-126.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:itsb12:72522. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.