Hospital market concentration and discrimination of patients
In this paper we investigate the existence of a two-tier medical system in the German acute care hospital sector using data from a survey of 483 German hospitals. The focus of our analysis lies on the impact of hospital concentration on the probability of discrimination of patients with different health insurances in regard to the access to medical services. Accounting for a possible endogeneity of market structure, we find that hospitals in highly concentrated markets are less likely to pursue any differentiation among prospective patients with different health insurances. We ascribe this finding to competitive pressure in less concentrated markets. Hospitals in competitive markets are more obliged to steal business from rival hospitals by privileging profitable patients than hospitals in highly concentrated markets.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 211 81-15494
Fax: +49 211 81-15499
Web page: http://www.dice.hhu.de/en.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carol Propper & Simon Burgess & Denise Gossage, 2008.
"Competition and Quality: Evidence from the NHS Internal Market 1991-9,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(525), pages 138-170, 01.
- Burgess, Simon & Gossage, Denise & Propper, Carol, 2003. "Competition and Quality: Evidence from the NHS Internal Market 1991-9," CEPR Discussion Papers 4026, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Siciliani & Steve Martin, 2007. "An empirical analysis of the impact of choice on waiting times," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(8), pages 763-779.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2007.
"Competition and Waiting Times in Hospital Markets,"
NIPE Working Papers
9/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2007. "Competition and Waiting Times in Hospital Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 2124, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brekke, Kurt Richard & Siciliani, Luigi & Straume, Odd Rune, 2007. "Competition and Waiting Times in Hospital Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 6285, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Gaynor & William Vogt, 2002.
"Competition Among Hospitals,"
GSIA Working Papers
2003-E20, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Martin Gaynor & William B. Vogt, 2003. "Competition Among Hospitals," NBER Working Papers 9471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Gaynor & William B Vogt, 2003. "Competition among Hospitals," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 03/087, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Courtemanche, Charles & Plotzke, Michael, 2010. "Does competition from ambulatory surgical centers affect hospital surgical output?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 765-773, September.
- Gaynor, Martin & Vogt, William B., 2000.
"Antitrust and competition in health care markets,"
Handbook of Health Economics,
in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 27, pages 1405-1487
- Martin Gaynor & William B. Vogt, . "Antitrust and Competition in Health Care Markets," GSIA Working Papers 1999-E29, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Martin Gaynor & William B. Vogt, 1999. "Antitrust and Competition in Health Care Markets," NBER Working Papers 7112, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Horwitz, Jill R. & Nichols, Austin, 2009. "Hospital ownership and medical services: Market mix, spillover effects, and nonprofit objectives," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 924-937, September.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521816632 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robinson, James C. & Luft, Harold S., 1985. "The impact of hospital market structure on patient volume, average length of stay, and the cost of care," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 333-356, December.
- Moulton, Brent R, 1990. "An Illustration of a Pitfall in Estimating the Effects of Aggregate Variables on Micro Unit," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 334-38, May.
- Plotzke, Michael & Courtemanche, Charles, 2009. "Does Competition from Ambulatory Surgical Centers Affect Hospital Surgical Output and Hospital Profit?," Working Papers 09-6, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Department of Economics.
- Christoph Schwierz & Achim Wübker & Ansgar Wübker & Björn Kuchinke, 2011. "Discrimination in waiting times by insurance type and financial soundness of German acute care hospitals," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 12(5), pages 405-416, October.
- Tay, Abigail, 2003. " Assessing Competition in Hospital Care Markets: The Importance of Accounting for Quality Differentiation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(4), pages 786-814, Winter.
- Ryan Mutter & Patrick Romano & Herbert Wong, 2011. "The Effects of US Hospital Consolidations on Hospital Quality," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 109-126.
- Lee, Kwang-soo & Chun, Ki-hong & Lee, Jung-soo, 2008. "Reforming the hospital service structure to improve efficiency: Urban hospital specialization," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 41-49, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:dicedp:63. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.