Good or bad? The influence of FDI on output growth. An industry-level analysis
This paper attempts to reconcile the often inconclusive evidence on the impact of FDI on growth by taking two into account the heterogeneity both among industries and among countries. Using a comparable database at the industry level for 35 countries in OECD, Asia and Eastern Europe from 1987 to 2002, we test both stage of development and FDI industrial pattern for the economic impact of FDI on growth. In certain industries and for the catching-up countries, a significant and positive relationship emerges when FDI interacts with investment or export orientation.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: 976 76 19 96
Web page: http://www.dteconz.unizar.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001.
"Does foreign direct investment transfer technology across borders?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6221, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe De La Potterie & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Transfer Technology Across Borders?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 490-497, August.
- Christian Bellak, 2004.
"How Domestic and Foreign Firms Differ and Why Does it Matter?,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 483-514, 09.
- Christian Bellak, 2004. "How Domestic and Foreign Firms Differ and Why Does It Matter?," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp087, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Akinlo, A. Enisan, 2004. "Foreign direct investment and growth in Nigeria: An empirical investigation," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 627-639, July.
- László Halpern & Balázs Muraközy, 2007.
"Does distance matter in spillover?,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 15, pages 781-805, October.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1995.
"On bias, inconsistency, and efficiency of various estimators in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Tom Doan, . "LSDVC: RATS procedure to estimate a dynamic FE model with correction for bias," Statistical Software Components RTS00111, Boston College Department of Economics.
- L.R. de Mello Jr., 1996.
"Foreign Direct Investment-Led Growth: Evidence from Time Series and Panel Data,"
Studies in Economics
9615, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- de Mello, Luiz R, Jr, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment-Led Growth: Evidence from Time Series and Panel Data," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 133-51, January.
- James R. Markusen & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2005.
"Learning on the Quick and Cheap: Gains from Trade through Imported Expertise,"
Kiel Working Papers
1251, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- James R. Markusen & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2004. "Learning on the Quick and Cheap: Gains from Trade Through Imported Expertise," NBER Working Papers 10603, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R. & Rutherford, Thomas F., 2005. "Learning on the quick and cheap: gains from trade through imported expertise," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2005,14, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Markusen, James R. & Rutherford, Tom, 2004. "Learning on the Quick and Cheap: Gains from Trade Through Imported Expertise," CEPR Discussion Papers 4504, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jim Markusen & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2005. "Learning on the quick and cheap: Gains from trade through imported expertise," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp052, IIIS.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Miao Wang, 2004.
"Inappropriate Pooling of Wealthy and Poor Countries in Empirical FDI Studies,"
Working Papers and Research
0903, Marquette University, Center for Global and Economic Studies and Department of Economics.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Miao Wang, 2004. "Inappropriate Pooling of Wealthy and Poor Countries in Empirical FDI Studies," NBER Working Papers 10378, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Theodore H. Moran & Edward M. Graham & Magnus Blomstrom, 2005. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Development?," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 3810.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Robert E. Lipsey & Mario Zejan, 1992. "What Explains Developing Country Growth?," NBER Working Papers 4132, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nair-Reichert, Usha & Weinhold, Diana, 2001. " Causality Tests for Cross-Country Panels: A New Look at FDI and Economic Growth in Developing Countries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(2), pages 153-71, May.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Gabor Hunya & Monika Schwarzhappel, 2005. "Opportunities for Acquisition and Outsourcing," wiiw FDI Reports 2005-05, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Rodriguez-Clare, Andres, 1996. "Multinationals, Linkages, and Economic Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 852-73, September.
- Timmer, Marcel P., 2003. "Technological development and rates of return to investment in a catching-up economy: the case of South Korea," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 405-425, December.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Robert E. Lipsey & Mario Zejan, 1993.
"Is Fixed Investment the Key to Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
4436, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nadiri, M.I., 1993. "Innovations and Technological Spillovers," Working Papers 93-31, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1993. "Innovations and Technological Spillovers," NBER Working Papers 4423, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zar:wpaper:dt2006-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vicente Pinilla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.