Performance and capital structure of privatized firms in the european union
The objective of this paper is to analyze whether there are differences in performance between firms that have been privatized and private firms in the EU. We also analyze whether previous ownership (state-owned versus private) and regulation affect capital structure. Focusing on economic reasons that justify privatizations, we compare the differences in the profitability, leverage and labor intensity of privatized firms in the EU countries with a matched-pairs sample of private firms, during the period 1999-2002. For the total sample, we have found evidence that privatized firms are more profitable, less leveraged and more efficient than private firms. With respect to capital structure, for the total sample, privatization and regulation determine leverage, being the privatized firms less leveraged and the regulated firms more leveraged. However, we have found important differences between zones.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gran via, 2 50005 Zaragoza|
Fax: 976 76 19 96
Web page: http://www.dteconz.unizar.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jesús Mur & Ana Angulo, 2005. "Model selection strategies in a spatial context," Documentos de Trabajo dt2005-06, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad de Zaragoza.
- Larramona, Gemma & Sanso, Marcos, 2006.
"Migration dynamics, growth and convergence,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 2261-2279, November.
- Gemma Larramona & Marcos Sanso, 2005. "Migration dynamics, growth and convergence," Documentos de Trabajo dt2005-09, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad de Zaragoza.
- de Miguel, Alberto & Pindado, Julio, 2001. "Determinants of capital structure: new evidence from Spanish panel data," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 77-99, March.
- Carmen F. Castejón & Julia Wörz, 2006. "Good or Bad? The Influence of FDI on Output Growth: An industry-level analysis," wiiw Working Papers 38, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Carmen Fillat Castejón & Julia Woerz, 2006. "Good or bad? The influence of FDI on output growth. An industry-level analysis," Documentos de Trabajo dt2006-01, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad de Zaragoza.
- da Silva, Luis Correia & Estache, Antonio & Jarvela, Sakari, 2004. "Is debt replacing equity in regulated privatized infrastructure in developing countries?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3374, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & S. Jarvela & Luis Correia da Silva, 2006. "Is Debt Replacing Equity in Regulated Privatized Infrastructure in Developing Countries?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43915, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zar:wpaper:dt2006-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vicente Pinilla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.