Risk Sharing, the Cost of Equity and the Optimal Capital Structure of the Regulated Firm
This paper considers the relationship between the regulator's pricing decision and the allocation of risk between consumers and shareholders. Consumers are willing to trade-off price variations against a lower expected price. Prices are higher in adverse economic conditions but shareholder returns are not necessarily lower. It might be optimal to insure shareholders against market risk to achieve a lower expected price. The socially optimal capital structure depends on consumers' and shareholders' attitudes to risk. There is only one very special set of conditions where the social optimum is 100% debt finance with the firm operating ona 'not-for-profit' basis.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, United Kingdom|
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Web page: https://www.york.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dasgupta, Sudipto & Nanda, Vikram, 1993. "Bargaining and brinkmanship : Capital structure choice by regulated firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 475-497.
- Cowan, Simon, 2004. "Optimal risk allocation for regulated monopolies and consumers," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1-2), pages 285-303, January.
- Yossef Spiegel & Daniel F. Spulber, 1997.
"Capital Structure with Countervailing Incentives,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(1), pages 1-24, Spring.
- Spiegel, Y. & Spulber, D.F., 1993. "Capital Structure with Countervailing Incentives," Papers 93, Bell Communications - Economic Research Group.
- Gianni De Fraja & Clive Stones, 2004. "Risk and Capital Structure in the Regulated Firm," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 69-84, 07.
- Spiegel, Yossef, 1994. "The Capital Structure and Investment of Regulated Firms under Alternative Regulatory Regimes," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 297-319, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:yor:yorken:05/31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Hodgson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.