Microfinance in Times of Crisis: The Effects of Competition, Rising Indebtedness, and Economic Crisis on Repayment Behavior
This paper analyzes repayment determinants for loans from Caja Los Andes, a Bolivian microlender. The analysis focuses on the influence of recent changes in the Bolivian microfinance market. In particular, we examine the effects of the rapidly growing supply of funds for micro-loans, the increasing competition, a rising level of indebtedness among micro-entrepreneurs, and the recent economic crisis. Our results show a two-fold influence structure of competition and indebtedness. Firstly, clients with loans from multiple sources at the same time are found to be more likely to default than others. Secondly, clients with given characteristics have an overall better repayment behavior in areas with higher competition and a higher supply of micro-loans.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2001|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 621 181 1776
Fax: +49 621 181 1774
Web page: http://www.vwl.uni-mannheim.de/gk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Eaton & Mark Gersovitz & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1991.
"The Pure Theory of Country Risk,"
in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 391-435
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Schreiner, 2001. "A Scoring Model of the Risk of Costly Arrears at a Microfinance Lender in Bolivia," Development and Comp Systems 0109005, EconWPA.
- Jeremy Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1998.
"Sovereign Debt: Is to Forgive to Forget,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
209, David K. Levine.
- Hellwig, Martin F, 1977. "A Model of Borrowing and Lending with Bankruptcy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(8), pages 1879-1906, November.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1997.
"Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds, and the Real Sector,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(3), pages 663-91, August.
- Holmström, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1994. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds and the Real Sector," IDEI Working Papers 40, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1994. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds and the Real Sector," Working papers 95-1, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Daniel McFadden, 1976. "A Comment on Discriminant Analysis "Versus" Logit Analysis," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 4, pages 511-523 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ulrike Vogelgesang, 2000. "Investigating Microfinance: Caja Los Andes, Bolivia," GK working paper series 2001-01, Post Graduate Programme "Allocation on Financial Markets", University of Mannheim, revised Nov 2001.
- Greene, William, 1998. "Sample selection in credit-scoring models1," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 299-316, July.
- Allen, Franklin, 1981. "The Prevention of Default," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 271-76, May.
- Beatriz Armendáriz de Aghion & Jonathan Morduch, 2000. "Microfinance Beyond Group Lending," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(2), pages 401-420, July.
- Patten, Richard H. & Rosengard, Jay k. & Johnston, Don JR., 2001. "Microfinance Success Amidst Macroeconomic Failure: The Experience of Bank Rakyat Indonesia During the East Asian Crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1057-1069, June.
- Jonathan Morduch, 1999. "The Microfinance Promise," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1569-1614, December.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas & Udo Schmidt-Mohr, 1999. "Oligopoly with Asymmetric Information: Differentiation in Credit Markets," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(3), pages 375-396, Autumn.
- Boyes, William J. & Hoffman, Dennis L. & Low, Stuart A., 1989. "An econometric analysis of the bank credit scoring problem," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 3-14, January.
- Parikshit Ghosh & Debraj Ray, 1999. "Information and Enforcement in Informal Credit Markets," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 93, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Bolton, Patrick & Scharfstein, David S, 1990. "A Theory of Predation Based on Agency Problems in Financial Contracting," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(1), pages 93-106, March.
- Francis Vella, 1998. "Estimating Models with Sample Selection Bias: A Survey," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 127-169.
- Patrick Bolton & Xavier Freixas, 2000. "Equity, Bonds, and Bank Debt: Capital Structure and Financial Market Equilibrium under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(2), pages 324-351, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:xrs:gkwopa:2001-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helga Gebauer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.