Cultural-Products Industries And Urban Economic Development: Prospects For Growth And Market Contestation In Global Context
The paper opens with a brief definition of the cultural economy. A first generation of local economic development policy approaches based on place-marketing and associated initiatives is described. The possibilities of a more powerful second-generation approach are then sketched out with special emphasis on localized complexes of cultural- products industries. An extensive review and classification of these complexes is laid out, and their inward and outward relations to global markets are considered. On this basis, a critical discussion of local economic policy options focussed on cultural-products industries is offered. Contrasting examples of development initiatives in major global cities, in selected old manufacturing towns, and in the Multimedia Super Corridor of Malaysia are briefly presented. It is suggested that the growth and spread of localized production agglomerations based on cultural-products industries is leading not to cultural uniformity but to greatly increased diversity at the global level.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aksoy, Asu & Robins, Kevin, 1992. "Hollywood for the 21st Century: Global Competition for Critical Mass in Image Markets," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Dominic Power & Daniel Hallencreutz, 2002.
"Profiting from Creativity? The Music Industry in Stockholm, Sweden and Kingston, Jamaica,"
Environment and Planning A,
, vol. 34(10), pages 1833-1854, October.
- Dominic Power & Daniel Hallencreutz, 2002. "Profiting from creativity? The music industry in Stockholm, Sweden and Kingston, Jamaica," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(10), pages 1833-1854, October.
- Walter Santagata, 2002. "Cultural Districts, Property Rights and Sustainable Economic Growth," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 9-23, 03.
- K Bassett, 1993. "Urban Cultural Strategies and Urban Regeneration: A Case Study and Critique," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 25(12), pages 1773-1788, December.
- Wolf Heydebrand & Annalisa Mirón, 2002. "Constructing innovativeness in new-media start-up firms," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(11), pages 1951-1984, November.
- Carol Ekinsmyth, 2002. "Project Organization, Embeddedness and Risk in Magazine Publishing," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 229-243.
- Peter Newman, 2000. "Cultural production, place and politics on the South Bank of the Thames," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 9-24, 03.
- Louise Crewe, 1996. "Material Culture: Embedded Firms, Organizational Networks and the Local Economic Development of a Fashion Quarter," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(3), pages 257-272.
- K Bassett, 1993. "Urban cultural strategies and urban regeneration: a case study and critique," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 25(12), pages 1773-1788, December.
- Jane Bryan & Steve Hill & Max Munday & Annette Roberts, 2000. "Assessing the role of the arts and cultural industries in a local economy," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 32(8), pages 1391-1408, August.
- María García & Yolanda Fernández & José Zofío, 2003. "The Economic Dimension of the Culture and Leisure Industry in Spain: National, Sectoral and Regional Analysis," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 9-30, February.
- Santagata Walter, 2002. "Cultural districts, property rights and sustainable economic growth," EBLA Working Papers 200201, University of Turin.
- Walter Santagata, 2002. "Cultural districts, property rights, and sustainable economic growth," Others 0210004, EconWPA.
- Monique Vervaeke & Benedicte Lefebvre, 2002. "Design Trades and Inter-firm Relationships in the Nord-Pas de Calais Textile Industry," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(6), pages 661-673.
- Carlo Pietrobelli & Tatiana Olarte Barrera, 2002. "Enterprise Clusters and Industrial Districts in Colombia's Fashion Sector†," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 541-562, July.
- W.B. Beyers, 2002. "Culture, Services and Regional Development," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 4-34, January.
- Andrew Leyshon, 2001. "Time - space (and digital) compression: software formats, musical networks, and the reorganisation of the music industry," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 33(1), pages 49-77, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpur:0511005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.