How to Finance Unemployment Benefits in an Economy with Search Generated Equilibrium Unemployment
In this paper, the effects of alternatives to finance unemployment benefits on employment and wages are examined in a model with search generated equilibrium unemployment. It is demonstrated that employment improves if a value--added tax is levied, as opposed to a social system contribution, where employees bear part of the contribution. In addition, it is shown that shifting the burden of the contribution to the Social Security system from employers to employees may have negative employment effects if the benefits are not taxed. This effect vanishes if the benefits are taxed.
|Date of creation:||15 Mar 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Adobe PDF; prepared on IBM PC - LaTeX; to print on HP; pages: 21 ; figures: included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hosios, Arthur J, 1990. "Factor Market Search and the Structure of Simple General Equilibrium Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 325-55, April.
- Laszlo Goerke, 2000. "Bismarck versus Beveridge. Flat-Rate and Earnings-Related Unemployment Insurance in a General Efficiency Wage Framework," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 57(3), pages 243-, May.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 1997.
"The Impact of Employment Tax Cuts on Unemployment and Wages: The Role of Unemployment Benefits and Tax Structure,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0361, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Pissarides, Christopher A., 1998. "The impact of employment tax cuts on unemployment and wages; The role of unemployment benefits and tax structure," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 155-183, January.
- Christopher Pissarides, 1997. "The impact of employment tax cuts on unemployment and wages : the role of unemployment benefits and tax structure," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2332, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Goerke, Laszlo, 1998. "Bismarck versus Beveridge: Flat- and earnings-related unemployment insurance in an efficiency wage framework," Discussion Papers, Series I 291, University of Konstanz, Department of Economics.
- Ken Binmore & Ariel Rubinstein & Asher Wolinsky, 1986. "The Nash Bargaining Solution in Economic Modelling," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(2), pages 176-188, Summer.
- Burda, Michael C & Wyplosz, Charles, 1993.
"Gross Worker and Job Flows in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
868, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin J. Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 2005. "Bargaining and Markets," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000515, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Berman, Eli, 1997. "Help Wanted, Job Needed: Estimates of a Matching Function from Employment Service Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages S251-92, January.
- Arthur J. Hosios, 1990. "On The Efficiency of Matching and Related Models of Search and Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(2), pages 279-298.
- Coles, Melvyn G. & Wright, Randall, 1998.
"A Dynamic Equilibrium Model of Search, Bargaining, and Money,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 32-54, January.
- Melvyn Cole & Randall Wright, . "A Dynamic Equilibrium Model of Search, Bargaining, and Money," CARESS Working Papres 97-9, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Smith, Eric, 1994. "Taxation in a two-sided search model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 423-435, July.
- Goerke, Laszlo, 1999.
"Value-added Tax versus Social Security Contributions,"
IZA Discussion Papers
55, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Laszlo Goerke, 1999. "Value-Added Tax versus Social Security Contributions," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 219(3+4), pages 308-325, September.
- Oliver Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1989. "The Beveridge Curve," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 1-76.
- Alvin E Roth, 2008. "Axiomatic Models of Bargaining," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000002376, David K. Levine.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwppe:0103001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.