Chief Executive Compensation and Corporate Groups in Japan: New Evidence From Micro Data
A growing body of literature has arisen analyzing compensation levels of Japanese CEOs. In this paper, Kato first looks at what compensation levels during the 1980s to examine the differences between Japanese executives whose firms are members of corporate groups (those linked by their relationships to a main bank and by cross-holding of equity) and those that are independent.
|Date of creation:||08 Jun 1999|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC; to print on PostScript; pages: 34; figures: included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaplan, Steven N. & Minton, Bernadette A., 1994. "Appointments of outsiders to Japanese boards: Determinants and implications for managers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 225-258, October.
- Weinstein, David E & Yafeh, Yishay, 1995.
"Japan's Corporate Groups: Collusion or Competitive? An Empirical Investigation of Keiretsu Behavior,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(4), pages 359-376, December.
- Weinstein, D.E. & Yafeh, Y., 1993. "Japan's Corporate Groups: Collusive or Competitive? An Empirical Investigation of Keiretsu Behavior," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1623, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Kato, Takao & Rockel, Mark, 1992. "Experiences, credentials, and compensation in the Japanese and U.S. managerial labor markets: Evidence from new micro data," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 30-51, March.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1990. "The role of banks in reducing the costs of financial distress in Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 67-88, September.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1990. "The Role of Banks in Reducing the Costs of Financial Distress in Japan," NBER Working Papers 3435, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takao Kato, Larry W. Taylor, 1994. "The Timing of Promotion to Top Management in the U.S. and Japan: A Duration Analysis," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_121, Levy Economics Institute.
- David E. Weinstein & Yishay Yafeh, 1998. "On the Costs of a Bank-Centered Financial System: Evidence from the Changing Main Bank Relations in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 635-672, 04.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R. & Pushner, George M., 1994. "Ownership structure and corporate performance in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 239-261, October.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & George. M Pushner, 1992. "Ownership Structure and Corporate Performance in Japan," NBER Working Papers 4092, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kato, Takao & Hebner, Kevin J., 1997. "Insider trading and executive compensation: Evidence from the U.S. and Japan," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 223-237.
- Rebick Marcus E., 1995. "Rewards in the Afterlife: Late Career Job Placements as Incentives in the Japanese Firm," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-28, March.
- Montalvo, Jose G. & Yafeh, Yishay, 1994. "A microeconometric analysis of technology transfer : The case of licensing agreements of Japanese firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 227-244, June.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Steven N. Kaplan, 1992. "Top Executive Rewards and Firm Performance: A Comparison of Japan and the U.S," NBER Working Papers 4065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randall Morck & Masao Nakamura, 1999. "Banks and Corporate Control in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 319-339, 02. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:9906003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.