Chief executive compensation and corporate groups in Japan: New evidence from micro data
A growing body of literature has arisen analyzing compensation levels of Japanese CEOs. In this paper, Kato first looks at what compensation levels during the 1980s to examine the differences between Japanese executives whose firms are members of corporate groups (those linked by their relationships to a main bank and by cross-holding of equity) and those that are independent.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takao Kato, Larry W. Taylor, 1994. "The Timing of Promotion to Top Management in the U.S. and Japan: A Duration Analysis," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_121, Levy Economics Institute.
- David E. Weinstein & Yishay Yafeh, 1998. "On the Costs of a Bank-Centered Financial System: Evidence from the Changing Main Bank Relations in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 635-672, 04.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1990.
"The Role of Banks in Reducing the Costs of Financial Distress in Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
3435, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1990. "The role of banks in reducing the costs of financial distress in Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 67-88, September.
- Weinstein, D.E. & Yafeh, Y., 1993.
"Japan's Corporate Groups: Collusive or Competitive? An Empirical Investigation of Keiretsu Behavior,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1623, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Weinstein, David E & Yafeh, Yishay, 1995. "Japan's Corporate Groups: Collusion or Competitive? An Empirical Investigation of Keiretsu Behavior," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(4), pages 359-76, December.
- Rebick Marcus E., 1995. "Rewards in the Afterlife: Late Career Job Placements as Incentives in the Japanese Firm," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-28, March.
- Steven N. Kaplan, 1992. "Top Executive Rewards and Firm Performance: A Comparison of Japan and the U.S," NBER Working Papers 4065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R. & Pushner, George M., 1994.
"Ownership structure and corporate performance in Japan,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 239-261, October.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & George. M Pushner, 1992. "Ownership Structure and Corporate Performance in Japan," NBER Working Papers 4092, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randall Morck & Masao Nakamura, 1999. "Banks and Corporate Control in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 319-339, 02.
- Kato, Takao & Rockel, Mark, 1992. "Experiences, credentials, and compensation in the Japanese and U.S. managerial labor markets: Evidence from new micro data," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 30-51, March.
- Kaplan, Steven N. & Minton, Bernadette A., 1994. "Appointments of outsiders to Japanese boards: Determinants and implications for managers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 225-258, October.
- Kato, Takao & Hebner, Kevin J., 1997. "Insider trading and executive compensation: Evidence from the U.S. and Japan," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 223-237.
- Montalvo, Jose G. & Yafeh, Yishay, 1994. "A microeconometric analysis of technology transfer : The case of licensing agreements of Japanese firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 227-244, June.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:15:y:1997:i:4:p:455-467. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.