Unemployment and Innovation Patterns. The role of business coordination and market Competition
The paper explores the institutional determinants of differences in European, Japanese and American unemployment and innovation pattern in a comparative institutional analysis perspective. Building on the definition of different modes of coordination among firms, the question is addressed as to how institutional settings affect firms innovation strategy. A generalized efficiency wage model is developed determining both equilibrium unemployment and innovation. The mode of coordination is shown to affect firms choice between radical and incremental innovations as well as firms response (in terms of innovation strategy) to increased competitive pressure. Higher unemployment may result as a consequence of specialization along innovation trajectories.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Soskice, David, 1996. "German technology policy, innovation, and national institutional frameworks," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Economic Change and Employment FS I 96-319, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Aoki, Masahiko, 1986. "Horizontal vs. Vertical Information Structure of the Firm," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 971-83, December.
- Bruno AMABLE, 1996. "Croisssance et cycles endogènes induits par les innovations radicales et incrementales," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 44, pages 91-110.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1991.
"Growth and Unemployment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
577, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, March.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, March.
- D. Gatti, 1997. "Flexible Technology, Unemployment and Effort: The Role of the Organization of the Firm," Working Papers ir97004, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:0507011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.