Decentralisation of bargaining and manufacturing employment: Sweden 1970-96
Swedish unemployment was very low up to the early 1990s when it rose rapidly. At the same time manufacturing employment fell by more than 20 %. The decentralisation of wage bargaining that started in 1983 may have contributed to this by making employment more shock sensitive or by increasing wage mark-ups. In Swedish plant-level data for manufacturing 1970–96 relatively less employment is in low-productivity plants after decentralisation than before, but the correlation between industry wage costs and productivity becomes stronger. Our conclusion is that decentralisation of bargaining in Sweden has not allowed more low-productivity plants in manufacturing to survive. On the contrary, the evidence indicates that a higher wage mark-up may have resulted from the decentralisation. This would weed out low-productivity plants and decrease manufacturing employment.
|Date of creation:||23 Mar 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+46) 18 - 471 70 70
Fax: (+46) 18 - 471 70 71
Web page: http://www.ifau.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agell, Jonas & Lommerud, Kjell Erik, 1993. " Egalitarianism and Growth," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(4), pages 559-79, December.
- Sneessens, H. & Dreze, J., 1985.
"A discussion of Belgian unemployment, combining traditional concepts and disequilibrium econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1985040, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sneessens, Henri R & Dreze, Jacques H, 1986. "A Discussion of Belgian Unemployment, Combining Traditional Concepts and Disequilibrium Econometrics," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(210(S)), pages S89-119, Supplemen.
- SNEESSENS, Henri R. & DREZE, Jacques H., . "A discussion of Belgian unemployment, combining traditional concepts and disequilibrium econometrics," CORE Discussion Papers RP -704, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Cohen, Daniel & Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1994.
"Uneven technical process and job destructions,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1991.
"Growth and Unemployment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
577, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, March.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, March.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Davis, Steven J., 2000.
"Wage-Setting Institutions as Industrial Policy,"
Working Paper Series
529, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Steven J. Davis & Magnus Henrekson, 2000. "Wage-Setting Institutions as Industrial Policy," NBER Working Papers 7502, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Steven J. & Henrekson, Magnus, 2000. "Wage-setting Institutions as Industrial Policy," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 352, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 05 Aug 2003.
- Andersson, Fredrik & Vejsiu, Altin, 2001. "Determinants of plant closures in Swedish manufacturing," Working Paper Series 2001:6, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Andersson, Fredrik, 1999. "Job flows in Swedish manufacturing 1972-1996," Working Paper Series 1999:4, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, June.
- Bean, Charles R, 1994.
"European Unemployment: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 32(2), pages 573-619, June.
- Steven J. Davis, 2001. "The Quality Distribution of Jobs and the Structure of Wages in Search Equilibrium," NBER Working Papers 8434, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hibbs Jr., Douglas A. & Locking, Håkan, 2000.
"Wage Dispersion and Productive Efficiency: Evidence For Sweden,"
Working Papers in Economics
21, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Hibbs, Douglas A, Jr & Locking, Hakan, 2000. "Wage Dispersion and Productive Efficiency: Evidence for Sweden," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(4), pages 755-82, October.
- Karl Ove Moene & Michael Wallerstein, . "Job Creation and Job Destruction with Local and Centralized Wage-Setting," IPR working papers 96-13, Institute for Policy Resarch at Northwestern University.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1997. " Imperfect Competition, Capital Shortages and Unemployment Persistence," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(1), pages 15-27, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ifauwp:2004_003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margareta Wicklander)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.