Short-Run Price Dynamics in Mexico
A theoretical model of inflationary dynamics is developed for Mexico. Estimation is carried out using ARIMA transfer function analysis. Sample data are for the January 1982 - December 1998 period. Overall econometric characteristics of the model satisfy standard statistical criteria. Results indicate that prices in Mexico respond relatively quickly to money supply, interst rate, wage, and peso/dollar currency market changes.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Craig S. Hakkio & Mark Rush, 1990.
"Cointegration: how short is the long run?,"
Research Working Paper
90-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Andrew J. Filardo, 1998. "New evidence on the output cost of fighting inflation," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III.
- Fullerton, Thomas Jr., 1993. "Inflationary trends in Colombia," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 463-468, August.
- Santiago Herrera, 1985. "Comentarios sobre las relaciones de causalidad entre tasa de cambio y precios," Ensayos sobre Política Económica, Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 4(8), pages 131-132, Diciembre.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 2000.
"Open-Economy Inflation Targeting,"
NBER Working Papers
6545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," CEPR Discussion Papers 1989, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," Papers 638, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," Seminar Papers 638, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & Cuauhtemoc Calderon, 2004.
"Inflationary Pressure Determinants in Mexico,"
- Engsted, Tom, 1993. "Cointegration and Cagan's Model of Hyperinflation under Rational Expectations," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(3), pages 350-60, August.
- Leiderman, Leonardo, 1984. "On the monetary-macro dynamics of Colombia and Mexico," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 183-201.
- Santiago Herrera, 1985. "Comentarios sobre las relaciones de causalidad entre tasa de cambio y precios," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, December.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1997.
"Inflation Targeting: A New Framework for Monetary Policy?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 97-116, Spring.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1997. "Inflation Targeting: A New Framework for Monetary Policy?," NBER Working Papers 5893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & Richard A Hirth & Mark B Smith, 2004. "Inflationary Dynamics and the Angell-Johnson Proposals," Macroeconomics 0409009, EconWPA.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & Eiichi Araki, 2004. "New Directions in Latin American Macroeconometrics," Development and Comp Systems 0408002, EconWPA.
- Rolnick, Arthur J & Weber, Warren E, 1997. "Money, Inflation, and Output under Fiat and Commodity Standards," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(6), pages 1308-21, December.
- Sheehey, Edmund J., 1980. "Money, income and prices in Latin America : An empirical note," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 345-357, September.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr, 2004. "A Theoretical Model of Developing Country Inflationary Dynamics," Macroeconomics 0407031, EconWPA.
- Allan Meltzer, 1998. "Monetarism: The issues and the outcome," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 26(1), pages 8-31, March.
- Kamas, Linda, 1995. "Monetary policy and inflation under the crawling peg: Some evidence from VARs for Colombia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 145-161, February.
- Gerald P. Dwyer, Jr. & R.W. Hafer, 1999. "Are money growth and inflation still related?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q2, pages 32-43.
- Hanson, James A., 1985. "Inflation and imported input prices in some inflationary Latin American economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 395-410, August.
- Li, C.A. & Philippopoulos, A. & Tzavalis, E., 1998.
"Inflation and Exchange Rate Regimes in Mexico,"
9801, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- John Elder & Peter E. Kennedy, 2001. "Testing for Unit Roots: What Should Students Be Taught?," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 137-146, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:0407027. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.