The Choice of Payment Schemes: Australian Establishment Data
This paper estimates the determinants of incentive schemes. Using Australian data, we analyze a relatively large variety of incentive systems (i.e., individual piece rates, workgroup performance bonuses, workplace level systems and profit sharing) using both the new economics of personnel and the literature on strategic choice to generate hypotheses. We find that monitoring issues, job security, product market competition, and the industrial relations climate rank among the most crucial determinants of incentive use, though this pattern varies across incentive schemes.
|Date of creation:||02 Feb 1994|
|Date of revision:||04 Feb 1994|
|Note:||Use VVDECODE (0.97 beta) to unencode, PKUNZIP (1.93 or later) to uncompress; will yield 2 WordPerfect5.1 file (text and tables) formatted for LaserJet4L.(Note, paper replaced because original incorrectly zipped)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregg, P. A. & Machin, S. J., 1988.
"Unions and the incidence of performance linked pay schemes in Britain,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 91-107, March.
- Gregg, P. A & Machin, S. j, 1987. "Unions and the Incidence of Performance Linked Pay Schemes in Britain," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 286, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Oliver Hart & Bengt Holmstrom, 1986. "The Theory of Contracts," Working papers 418, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Dale Belman & John Heywood, 1988. "Incentive schemes and racial wage discrimination," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer;National Economic Association, vol. 17(1), pages 47-56, June.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Claudia Goldin, 1985.
"Monitoring Costs and Occupational Segregation by Sex: An Historical Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
1560, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldin, Claudia, 1986. "Monitoring Costs and Occupational Segregation by Sex: A Historical Analysis," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Goldin, Claudia, 1986. "Monitoring Costs and Occupational Segregation by Sex: A Historical Analysis," Scholarly Articles 2666727, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Garen, John E, 1985. "Worker Heterogeneity, Job Screening, and Firm Size," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(4), pages 715-739, August.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1982.
"Union Wage Practices and Wage Dispersion within Establishments,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 36(1), pages 3-21, October.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1981. "Union Wage Practices and Wage Dispersion within Establishments," NBER Working Papers 0752, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Seiler, Eric, 1984. "Piece Rate vs. Time Rate: The Effect of Incentives on Earnings," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(3), pages 363-76, August.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1979. "Why Is There Mandatory Retirement?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1261-1284, December.
- Charles Brown, 1989. "Firms' Choice of Method of Pay," NBER Working Papers 3065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:sae:ilrrev:v:43:y:1990:i:3:p:165-182 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpla:9402001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.