Strategy, Competition And Diversification In European And Mexican Banking
This article identifies whether top managers in banks’ parent companies are highly involved in the design of strategy and examines how management styles influence (or reflect influences) on diversification decisions within bank markets. Alongside this assessment, the research ranks the main concerns to design strategy in banking within an international setting (including the role of information and telecommunication technologies in the design and implementation of banks’ diversification strategies). Results emerging from triangulating responses suggested that, on balance, top managers in bank markets are predisposed to integrate around purely strategic rather than purely financial targets or than a combination of strategic and financial performance. Management of diversity does not seem to be time invariant with results suggesting that information technology management played a secondary role in the design of bank strategy but at the same time, information technology applications were perceived as an important force to modify competition in bank markets.
|Date of creation:||10 Nov 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - pdf; to print on HP/PostScript/Franciscan monk; pages: 35|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. E. Caves & M. E. Porter, 1977. "From Entry Barriers to Mobility Barriers: Conjectural Decisions and Contrived Deterrence to New Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(2), pages 241-261.
- Humphrey, David B & Pulley, Lawrence B, 1997. "Banks' Responses to Deregulation: Profits, Technology, and Efficiency," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 73-93, February.
- Davis, E. Philip & De Bandt, Olivier, 1999. "A cross-country comparison of market structures in European banking," Working Paper Series 0007, European Central Bank.
- Teece, David J., 1980. "Economies of scope and the scope of the enterprise," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 223-247, September.
- Lloyd-Williams, D. M. & Molyneux, Phil & Thornton, John, 1994. "Market structure and performance in Spanish banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 433-443, May.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Walter, Ingo, 1997. "Universal banking: A shareholder value perspective," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 344-360, August.
- Canals, Jordi, 1994. "Competitive Strategies in European Banking," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198773504, December.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Ingo Walter, 1997. "Universal Banking: A Shareholder Value Perspective," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 96-40, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Gilbert, R Alton, 1984. "Bank Market Structure and Competition: A Survey," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 617-44, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpio:0211013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.