Role of Exchange Rate Volatility in Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Import Prices: Some Evidence from Japan
This paper investigates the effect of exchange rate volatility on the degree of exchange rate pass-through in Japan for the period January 1975 to June 1997. Although several studies put forward theoretical arguments for the volatility-domestic import price relationship, only a very few studies produced empirical evidence. The volatility of contractual currency based exchange rate index returns was modelled using GARCH-type processes with skewed student t-distribution, capturing the typical nature of exchange rate returns. Using a three-state regime switching threshold model, we examine the response of import prices, the degree of pass-through in particular, to different volatility regimes, low, medium and high. The results show that the exchange rate pass- through coefficient is significantly different across all three volatility regimes only during recession.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Hooper, Peter & Kohlhagen, Steven W., 1978. "The effect of exchange rate uncertainty on the prices and volume of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 483-511, November.
- Jimmy Ran & Ronald Balvers, 2000. "Exchange Rate Shocks and the Speed of Trade Price Adjustment," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 67(1), pages 200-211, July.
- Corinne Krupp & Carl Davidson, 1996. "Strategic Flexibility and Exchange Rate Uncertainty," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(2), pages 436-56, May.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Arize, Augustine C & Osang, Thomas & Slottje, Daniel J, 2000. "Exchange-Rate Volatility and Foreign Trade: Evidence from Thirteen LDC's," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 10-17, January.
- Baum, Christopher F. & Caglayan, Mustafa & Barkoulas, John T., 2001.
"Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Firm Profitability,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 565-576, October.
- Athukorala, Premachandra & Menon, Jayant, 1994.
"Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 271-81, March.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1992. "Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports," Working Papers 1992.32, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Guneratne Banda Wickremasinghe & Param Silvapulle, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Manufactured Import Prices: The Case of Japan," International Trade 0406006, EconWPA.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Klemperer, Paul D, 1989.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 637-54, September.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul Klemperer, 1988. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters," NBER Working Papers 2542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 1999.
"Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Trade Flows: Evidence from the European Union,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(3), pages 5.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 1998. "Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Trade Flows: Evidence From the European Union," IMF Working Papers 98/107, International Monetary Fund.
- McKenzie, Michael D, 1999. " The Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on International Trade Flows," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 71-106, February.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Terry Clark & Masaaki Kotabe & Dan Rajaratnam, 1999. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through and International Pricing Strategy: A Conceptual Framework and Research Propositions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(2), pages 249-268, June.
- Taylor, John B., 2000. "Low inflation, pass-through, and the pricing power of firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1389-1408, June.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee, 2002. "Does black market exchange rate volatility deter the trade flows? Iranian experience," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(18), pages 2249-2255.
- S»bastien Laurent and Jean-Philippe Peters, 2001. "G@RCH 2.0: An Ox Package for Estimating and Forecasting Various ARCH Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 123, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jayant Menon, 1992. "Exchange rates and prices of Australian manufactured exports," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 128(4), pages 695-710, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpif:0406006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.