Exchange Rates Forecasting Model: An Alternative Estimation Procedure
This study proposes an alternative procedure for modelling exchange rates behaviour, which is a linear combination of a long-run function and a short-run function. Our procedure involves modelling of the long- run relationship and this is followed by the short-run function. Among all the possible combination of modelling techniques, we proposed the simplest form, namely modelling the long-run function by the well established purchasing power parity (PPP) based model and setting up the short-run function based on its time series properties. Results of this study suggests that our procedure yields powerful forecasting models as they easily outperform the simple random walk model--which is rarely defeated in the literature of exchange rate forecasting--in term of out- of-sample forecasting, for all the forecast horizons ranging from one to fourteen quarters. This study provides us with some hope of achieving a reasonable forecast for the ASEAN currencies using the fundamental monetary model just by a simple adaptation.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meese, Richard, 1990. "Currency Fluctuations in the Post-Bretton Woods Era," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 117-34, Winter.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Rodrigo O. Valdes, 1996.
"The Aftermath of Appreciations,"
NBER Working Papers
5650, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A, 1979. "On the Mark: A Theory of Floating Exchange Rates Based on Real Interest Differentials," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 610-22, September.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel and Andrew K. Rose., 1995.
"A Survey of Empirical Research on Nominal Exchange Rates,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C95-051, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1994. "A Survey of Empirical Research on Nominal Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 4865, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 1995. "A Survey of Empirical Research on Nominal Exchange Rates," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers 233409, University of California-Berkeley, Department of Economics.
- Jerry Coakley & Ana-Maria Fuertes, 2001. "Nonparametric cointegration analysis of real exchange rates," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 1-8.
- McKenzie, Michael D., 1999. "Power transformation and forecasting the magnitude of exchange rate changes," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 49-55, February.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Azali, M. & Habibullah, M. S. & Baharumshah, A. Z., 2001. "Does PPP hold between Asian and Japanese economies? Evidence using panel unit root and panel cointegration," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 35-50, January.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Ashok Parikh & Geoffrey Williams, 1998. "Modelling real exchange rate behaviour: a cross-country study," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(6), pages 577-587.
- Meese, R. & Rogoff, K., 1988.
"Was It Real? The Exchange Rate-Interest Differential Ralation Over The Modern Floating-Rate Period,"
368, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Meese, Richard A & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1988. " Was It Real? The Exchange Rate-Interest Differential Relation over the Modern Floating-Rate Period," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(4), pages 933-48, September.
- Jun Nagayasu, 1998. "Does the Long-Run Ppp Hypothesis Hold for Africa? Evidence From Panel Co-Integration Study," IMF Working Papers 98/123, International Monetary Fund.
- Philip Hans Franses & Paul van Homelen, 1998. "On forecasting exchange rates using neural networks," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(6), pages 589-596.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Liew Khim Sen, 2003. "The Predictability of ASEAN-5 Exchange Rates," International Finance 0307004, EconWPA.
- Meese, Richard A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies : Do they fit out of sample?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 3-24, February.
- Litterman, Robert B, 1986.
"Forecasting with Bayesian Vector Autoregressions-Five Years of Experience,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 4(1), pages 25-38, January.
- Robert B. Litterman, 1985. "Forecasting with Bayesian vector autoregressions five years of experience," Working Papers 274, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Paul Hallwood & Ronald MacDonald, 2008. "International Money and Finance," Working papers 2008-02, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Peel, David A., 2000. "Nonlinear adjustment, long-run equilibrium and exchange rate fundamentals," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 33-53, February.
- Richard A. Meese & Andrew K. Rose, 1991.
"An Empirical Assessment of Non-Linearities in Models of Exchange Rate Determination,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(3), pages 603-619.
- Richard Meese & Andrew K. Rose, 1989. "An empirical assessment of non-linearities in models of exchange rate determination," International Finance Discussion Papers 367, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Joseph Plasmans & William Verkooijen & Hennie Daniels, 1998. "Estimating structural exchange rate models by artificial neural networks," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(5), pages 541-551.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshahb & Evan Laub, 2004. "Nonlinear Adjustment towards Purchasing Power Parity in ASEAN Exchange Rates," The IUP Journal of Applied Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(6), pages 7-18, November.
- Ma, Yue & Kanas, Angelos, 2000. "Testing for a nonlinear relationship among fundamentals and exchange rates in the ERM," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 135-152, February.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong, 1993. "Long Memory in Foreign-Exchange Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 93-101, January.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Ronald MacDonald & Peter B. Clark, 1998. "Exchange Rates and Economic Fundamentals; A Methodological Comparison of BEERs and FEERs," IMF Working Papers 98/67, International Monetary Fund.
- Winston Lin & Yueh Chen, 1998. "Forecasting foreign exchange rates with an intrinsically nonlinear dynamic speed of adjustment model," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(3), pages 295-312.
- Coakley, Jerry & Fuertes, Ana Maria, 1997. "New panel unit root tests of PPP," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 17-22, November.
- Chinn, Menzie D. & Meese, Richard A., 1995. "Banking on currency forecasts: How predictable is change in money?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 161-178, February.
- Hakkio, Craig S. & Rush, Mark, 1989. "Market efficiency and cointegration: an application to the sterling and deutschemark exchange markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 75-88, March.
- Mark, Nelson C, 1995. "Exchange Rates and Fundamentals: Evidence on Long-Horizon Predictability," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 201-18, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpif:0307005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.