The Impact of the Suspension of Opening and Closing Call
The paper analyses the impact of the suspension of opening and closing call auctions by the National Stock Exchange of India in 1999. We compare volatility, efficiency and liquidity (VEL) of securities before and after suspension, and estimate the value of the auctions using an event study. Following suspension, VEL improved and the CARs were significant but not uniformly positive or negative. We also find that less liquid stocks traded less in the auctions than other securities, especially at the opening, and they experienced the most gains following suspension. This is consistent with there being liquidity externalities associated with auctions, a point previous noted for industrial countries. We conclude that opening and closing call auctions may not necessarily improve share trading in a less liquid emerging market.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno Biais & Pierre Hillion & Chester Spatt, 1999. "Price Discovery and Learning during the Preopening Period in the Paris Bourse," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(6), pages 1218-1248, December.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2002. "Bootstrap inference in econometrics," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(4), pages 615-645, November.
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1997. "Event Studies in Economics and Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 13-39, March.
- Dimitri Vayanos, 1999.
"Strategic trading and welfare in a dynamic market,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
449, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim & Murgia, Maurizio, 1990. "Stock market microstructure and return volatility : Evidence from Italy," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2-3), pages 423-440, August.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Kairys, Joseph Jr. & Kruza, Raimonds & Kumpins, Ritvars, 2000. "Winners and losers from the introduction of continuous variable price trading: Evidence from the Riga Stock Exchange," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 603-624, April.
- Madhavan, Ananth, 1992.
" Trading Mechanisms in Securities Markets,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 607-641, June.
- Ananth N. Madhavan, "undated". "Trading Mechanisms in Securities Markets," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 16-90, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Nicholas Economides & Robert Schwartz,, "undated".
"Electronic Call Market Trading,"
_001, Economics of Networks.
- Comerton-Forde, Carole, 1999. "Do trading rules impact on market efficiency? A comparison of opening procedures on the Australian and Jakarta Stock Exchanges," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 495-521, December.
- Beni Lauterbach & Meyer Ungar, 1997. "Switching to Continuous Trading and its Impact on Return Behavior and Volume of Trade," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 12(1), pages 39-50, August.
- Shastri, Karen A. & Shastri, Kuldeep & Sirodom, Kulpatra, 1995. "Trading mechanisms and return volatility: An empirical analysis of the stock exchange of Thailand," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 3(2-3), pages 357-370, July.
- J. Cable & K. Holland, 1999. "Modelling normal returns in event studies: a model-selection approach and pilot study," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(4), pages 331-341.
- Barry, Christopher B. & Brown, Stephen J., 1984. "Differential information and the small firm effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 283-294, June.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., "undated".
"The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim & Lauterbach, Beni, 1997.
"Market microstructure and securities values: Evidence from the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 365-390, September.
- Yakov Amihud & Haim Mendelson & Beni Lauterbach, 1997. "Market Microstructure and Securities Values: Evidence from the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-004, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Yakov Amihud & Haim Mendelson & Beni Lauterbach, 1996. "Market Microstructure and Securities Values: Evidence From the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 96-7, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1987. " Trading Mechanisms and Stock Returns: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 533-553, July.
- Anat R. Admati, Paul Pfleiderer, 1988. "A Theory of Intraday Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 3-40.
- Jarque, Carlos M. & Bera, Anil K., 1980. "Efficient tests for normality, homoscedasticity and serial independence of regression residuals," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 255-259.
- Pagano, Michael S. & Schwartz, Robert A., 2003. "A closing call's impact on market quality at Euronext Paris," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 439-484, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0506006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.