The International Expansion of the Norwegian Banks
We discuss the expansion of Norwegian banks abroad in the post-World War II era. The Norwegian case gives us an opportunity to examine the determinants of the strategies that banks from a small county have followed in their international expansion. At least two issues emerge as important. The first issue is the role of regulation as goad and handicap to internationalization. Regulations influenced when, where, how and why the Norwegian banks expanded abroad. The second issue is the role of the competition and cooperation (including joint ventures) between banks.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3301 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, 3620 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104.6367|
Web page: http://fic.wharton.upenn.edu/fic/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacobsen, Siv Fagerland & Tschoegl, Adrian E, 1999.
"The Norwegian Banks in the Nordic Consortia: A Case of International Strategic Alliances in Banking,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 137-165, March.
- Siv Fagerland Jacobsen & Adrian E. Tschoegl, 1997. "The Norwegian Banks in the Nordic Consortia: A Case of International Strategic Alliances in Banking," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-39, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Engwall, L. & Wallenstål, M., 1988. "Tit for tat in small steps: the internationalization of Swedish banks," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 4(3-4), pages 147-155.
- Kindleberger, Charles P., 1983. "International banks as leaders or followers of international business : An historical perspective," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 583-595, December.
- Ball, Clifford A. & Tschoegl, Adrian E., 1982. "The Decision to Establish a Foreign Bank Branch or Subsidiary: An Application of Binary Classification Procedures," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(03), pages 411-424, September.
- Heinkel, Robert L. & Levi, Maurice D., 1992. "The structure of international banking," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 251-272, June.
- Edward Brown Flowers, 1976. "Oligopolistic Reactions in European and Canadian Direct Investment in the United States," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 7(2), pages 43-56, June.
- Chwo-Ming J Yu & Kiyohiko Ito, 1988. "Oligopolistic Reaction and Foreign Direct Investment: The Case of the U.S. Tire and Textiles Industries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 19(3), pages 449-460, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)