Methods of Multivariate Analysis to Uncover Socio-Economic Differences Among Spatial-Economics Entities
Main aim of regional policy is to reduce regional disparities. There is now doubt that action to tackle regional disparities is needed in Croatia. Main problem is the definition of region as a subject of regional policy. After discussion about definition of region and main criteria which should be considered during the process of establishment of regions, the paper will present one of the methodologies for spatial-economic entities' classification. The methodology will be used on the working sample of several Croatian counties. The classification will be obtained through use of multivariate statistical methods, and it is based on a wide number of demographic, economic, educations, employment indicators. Results leads to the identification of several axes of socio-economic characterisation, and the division of the observed territory into several homogenous clusters, regions with different degree of development. The main conclusion is that socio-economic reorients uncovered with this methodology provide useful characterisation and division of the territory, for policy making purpose.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaur, Sanjay, 1997. "Adelman and Morris factor analysis of developing countries," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 407-415, August.
- Gupta, Vipin & Hanges, Paul J. & Dorfman, Peter, 2002. "Cultural clusters: methodology and findings," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 11-15, April.
- Berlage, Lodewijk & Terweduwe, Dirk, 1988. "The classification of countries by cluster and by factor analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(12), pages 1527-1545, December.
- Ivana Rasic, 2003. "Introduction of Nomenclature of Territorial Units for Statistics in Croatia," ERSA conference papers ersa03p96, European Regional Science Association.
- Gabriel Lipshitz & Adi Raveh, 1998. "Socio-economic Differences among Localities: A New Method of Multivariate Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(8), pages 747-757.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa06p56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.