The productivity of industrial land in the Netherlands
In regional science the interest in spatial distribution of productivity is focussed on labour productivity. In our research we focus on another important production factor that is land. By planning local authorities allocate land to different categories of land use. As part of research on the efficiency of this allocation process in the Netherlands, a method is developed to determine the productivity of industrial land (added value per hectare industrial land). To calculate this Â‘spatial productivityÂ’, data from the Dutch industrial estates database are used in combination with regional employment and regional output statistics. The paper will explain the method used and show some results. The research outcomes show that there are substantial differences in spatial productivity in the Netherlands. These differences seem to correlate positively with the urban density. On the other hand the share of added value created on industrial estates by region seems to correlate negatively with urban density. Therefore there is some evidence for the hypothesis that industrial land in urbanised regions is used more efficiently than in other areas, indicating that agglomeration effects are observable in spatial productivity.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ciccone, Antonio & Hall, Robert E, 1996.
"Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 54-70, March.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1993. "Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity," NBER Working Papers 4313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1995. "Productivity and the density of economic activity," Economics Working Papers 120, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Erik Louw, 2000. "The production of business sites in the Netherlands," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 91(1), pages 85-91, February.
- Alan Evans, 2003. "The Development of Urban Economics in the Twentieth Century," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(5), pages 521-529. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa04p63. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.