Design of homogenous territorial units: a methodological proposal
One of the main questions to solve when analysing geographically added information consists of the design of territorial units adjusted to the objectives of the study. In fact, in those cases where territorial information is aggregated, ad-hoc criteria are usually applied as there are not regionalization methods flexible enough. Moreover, and without taking into account the aggregation method applied, there is an implicit risk that is known in the literature as Modifiable Areal Unit Problem (MAUP) (Openshaw, 1984). This problem is related with the high sensitivity of statistical and econometric results to different aggregations of geographical data, which can negatively affect the robustness of the analysis. In this paper, an optimization model is proposed with the aim of identifying homogenous territorial units related with the analyzed phenomena. This model seeks to reduce some disadvantages found in previous works about automated regionalisation tools. In particular, the model not only considers the characteristics of each element to group but also, the relationships among them, trying to avoid the MAUP. An algoritm, known as RASS (Regionalization Algorithm with Selective Search) it also proposed in order to obtain faster results from the model. The obtained results permit to affirm that the proposed methodology is able to identify a great variety of territorial configurations, taking into account the contiguity constraint among the different elements to be grouped.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Gower & P. Legendre, 1986. "Metric and Euclidean properties of dissimilarity coefficients," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 5-48, March.
- A S Fotheringham & D W S Wong, 1991. "The modifiable areal unit problem in multivariate statistical analysis," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 23(7), pages 1025-1044, July.
- C G Amrhein & R Flowerdew, 1992. "The effect of data aggregation on a Poisson regression model of Canadian migration," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 24(10), pages 1381-1391, October.
- Anuška Ferligoj & Vladimir Batagelj, 1983. "Some types of clustering with relational constraints," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 48(4), pages 541-552, December.
- Openshaw, Stan, 1992. "Some Suggestions Concerning the Development of Artificial Intelligence Tools for Spatial Modelling and Analysis in GIS," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 35-51, April.
- Gordon, A. D., 1996. "A survey of constrained classification," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Anuška Ferligoj & Vladimir Batagelj, 1982. "Clustering with relational constraint," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 47(4), pages 413-426, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa04p6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.