A linear programming embedded probabilistic tabu search for the unequal-area facility layout problem with flexible bays
In this paper, a probabilistic tabu search (PTS) approach is proposed to solve the facility layout problem (FLP) with unequal area departments. For the representation, the flexible bay structure (FBS), which is a very common layout in many manufacturing and retail facilities, is used. In this paper, the FBS is relaxed by allowing empty spaces within bays, which results in more flexibility in assigning departments into bays. In addition, departments are allowed to be located more freely within the bays, and they can have different side lengths as long as they are within the bay boundaries and do not overlap. To achieve these goals, department shapes and their locations within bays are determined LP. A PTS approach is developed to search an overall layout structure that describes relative positions of departments for the relaxed-FBS (RFBS). The proposed LP embedded PTS–RFBS approach is used to solve thirteen FLP instances from the literature with varying sizes. The comparative results show that this approach is very promising and able to find new best solutions for several test problems.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scholz, Daniel & Petrick, Anita & Domschke, Wolfgang, 2009. "STaTS: A Slicing Tree and Tabu Search based heuristic for the unequal area facility layout problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(1), pages 166-178, August.
- Gordon C. Armour & Elwood S. Buffa, 1963. "A Heuristic Algorithm and Simulation Approach to Relative Location of Facilities," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(2), pages 294-309, January.
- Goetschalckx, Marc, 1992. "An interactive layout heuristic based on hexagonal adjacency graphs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 304-321, December.
- Bozer, Yavuz A. & Wang, Chi-Tai, 2012. "A graph-pair representation and MIP-model-based heuristic for the unequal-area facility layout problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(2), pages 382-391.
- Lokketangen, Arne & Glover, Fred, 1998. "Solving zero-one mixed integer programming problems using tabu search," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 106(2-3), pages 624-658, April.
- Scholz, Daniel & Petrick, Anita & Domschke, Wolfgang, 2009. "STaTS: A Slicing Tree and Tabu Search based heuristic for the unequal area facility layout problem," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 39430, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Komarudin & Wong, Kuan Yew, 2010. "Applying Ant System for solving Unequal Area Facility Layout Problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(3), pages 730-746, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:223:y:2012:i:3:p:614-625. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.