Analyzing the determinants of freight shipper's behavior: own account versus purchased transport
Previous work in the demand for freight transportation has focused in the rail-truck substitution problem, leaving aside the prior own-account versus third-party trade-off, often found in transportation decision-making. The purpose of this paper is to analyze shippersÂ’ behavior relative to this question, paying particular attention to whether the decision to use a private form of transport is taken on a short term or on a medium term horizon. In order to provide a quantitative evaluation, as an illustrative case, the models developed are tested on data gathered by means of a sample survey conducted to Andalusian enterprises belonging to the food industry. JEL classification: R410: Transportation: Supply, Demand and Congestion. C350: Econometric Methods: Multiple/Simultaneous Equation Models: Truncated and Censored Models.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Winston, Clifford, 1981. "A Disaggregate Model of the Demand for Intercity Freight Transportation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 981-1006, June.
- Lung-Fei Lee, 1982. "Some Approaches to the Correction of Selectivity Bias," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(3), pages 355-372.
- Inaba, Fred S & Wallace, Nancy E, 1989. "Spatial Price Competition and the Demand for Freight Transportation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 614-625, November.
- Ana Matas, 1991. "La demanda de transporte urbano: un análisis de las elasticidades y valoraciones del tiempo," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 15(2), pages 249-267, May.
- Small, K. & Winston, C., 1998. ""The Demand for Transportation: Models and Applications"," Papers 98-99-6, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Daughety, Andrew F & Inaba, Frederick S, 1981. "An Analysis of Regulatory Change in the Transportation Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(2), pages 246-255, May.
- Friedlaender, Ann F & Spady, Richard H, 1980. "A Derived Demand Function for Freight Transportation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(3), pages 432-441, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa04p163. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.