Analyzing the determinants of freight shipper's behavior: own account versus purchased transport
Previous work in the demand for freight transportation has focused in the rail-truck substitution problem, leaving aside the prior own-account versus third-party trade-off, often found in transportation decision-making. The purpose of this paper is to analyze shippers’ behavior relative to this question, paying particular attention to whether the decision to use a private form of transport is taken on a short term or on a medium term horizon. In order to provide a quantitative evaluation, as an illustrative case, the models developed are tested on data gathered by means of a sample survey conducted to Andalusian enterprises belonging to the food industry. JEL classification: R410: Transportation: Supply, Demand and Congestion. C350: Econometric Methods: Multiple/Simultaneous Equation Models: Truncated and Censored Models.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ana Matas, 1991. "La demanda de transporte urbano: un análisis de las elasticidades y valoraciones del tiempo," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 15(2), pages 249-267, May.
- Winston, Clifford, 1981. "A Disaggregate Model of the Demand for Intercity Freight Transportation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 981-1006, June.
- Inaba, Fred S & Wallace, Nancy E, 1989. "Spatial Price Competition and the Demand for Freight Transportation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 614-25, November.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1982. "Some Approaches to the Correction of Selectivity Bias," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 355-72, July.
- Small, K. & Winston, C., 1998. ""The Demand for Transportation: Models and Applications"," Papers 98-99-6, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Daughety, Andrew F & Inaba, Frederick S, 1981. "An Analysis of Regulatory Change in the Transportation Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(2), pages 246-55, May.
- Friedlaender, Ann F & Spady, Richard H, 1980. "A Derived Demand Function for Freight Transportation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(3), pages 432-41, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa04p163. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.