Measuring Regional Multipliers: A Comparison between Two Different Methodologies for the Case Of The Italian Regions
This paper focuses on theory and methodology in estimating Keynesian regional multipliers. After introducing the concept of Keynesian multipliers at both national and regional level and describe the database used, two methodologies are compared and applied to the case of the Italian regions: the "Marginal propensities method" (MPM) and the "Aggregate leakages method" (ALM). The higher multipliers values in Southern Italy, resulting from the application of both methodologies, are consistent with similar previous findings and appear to be related to the degree of openness of the local economy, the availability of resources and their marginal productivity, the level of wealth, income distribution and the consequent different consumption patterns. Keywords: Keynesian multipliers, Italian regions, regional disparities JEL-classification: R10, E12, R15
|Date of creation:||Aug 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Paci & S. Saddi, 2002.
"Capitale pubblico e produttività nelle regioni italiane,"
Working Paper CRENoS
200201, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Silvia Saddi & Raffaele Paci, 2002. "Capitale pubblico e produttività nelle regioni italiane," SCIENZE REGIONALI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2002(3).
- R. Paci & A. Saba, 1997. "The empirics of regional Economic growth in italy. 1951-1993," Working Paper CRENoS 199701, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Black, Philip A, 1981. "Injection Leakages, Trade Repercussions and the Regional Income Multiplier," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 28(3), pages 227-35, November.
- Raffaele Paci & Francesco Pigliaru, 1999.
"Growth and sectoral dynamics in the Italian regions,"
in: Economic Growth and Change, chapter 12
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- R. Paci & F. Pigliaru, 1998. "Growth and sectoral dynamics in the Italian regions," Working Paper CRENoS 199803, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Sinclair, M Thea & Sutcliffe, Charles M S, 1982. "Keynesian Income Multipliers with First and Second Round Effects: An Application to Tourist Expenditure," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 44(4), pages 321-38, November.
- Lever, W F, 1975. "Regional Multipliers and Demand Leakages at Establishment Level: A Reply," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 22(1), pages 103-06, February.
- Sinclair, M Thea & Sutcliffe, Charles M S, 1983. "Injection Leakages, Trade Repercussions and the Regional Income Multiplier: An Extension," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 30(3), pages 275-86, November.
- Stefano Casini Benvenuti & Giandemetrio Marangoni, 1999. "Infrastructure and Performance of the Italian Economic System," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 439-455.
- A.G.M. Nairn & J.K. Swales, 1987. "Area Policy Impacts: A Multiplier Analysis of GEAR," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 24(1), pages 31-45, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa03p249. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.