Measuring Regional Multipliers: a Comparison between two Different Methodologies for the case of the italian Regions
This paper focuses on theory and methodology in estimating Keynesian regional multipliers. After introducing the concept of Keynesian multipliers at both national and regional level and describe the database used, two methodologies are compared and applied to the case of the Italian regions: the Marginal propensities method (MPM) and the Aggregate leakages method (ALM). The higher multipliers values in Southern Italy, resulting from the application of both methodologies, are consistent with similar previous findings and appear to be related to the degree of openness of the local economy, the availability of resources and their marginal productivity, the level of wealth, income distribution and the consequent different consumption patterns.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2003/1 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=103|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/Elenco_Prodotti.aspx?startCode=DC Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lever, W F, 1975. "Regional Multipliers and Demand Leakages at Establishment Level: A Reply," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 22(1), pages 103-06, February.
- Silvia Saddi & Raffaele Paci, 2002.
"Capitale pubblico e produttività nelle regioni italiane,"
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2002(3).
- R. Paci & S. Saddi, 2002. "Capitale pubblico e produttività nelle regioni italiane," Working Paper CRENoS 200201, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- A.G.M. Nairn & J.K. Swales, 1987. "Area Policy Impacts: A Multiplier Analysis of GEAR," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 24(1), pages 31-45, February.
- R. Paci & F. Pigliaru, 1998.
"Growth and sectoral dynamics in the Italian regions,"
Working Paper CRENoS
199803, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Raffaele Paci & Francesco Pigliaru, 1999. "Growth and sectoral dynamics in the Italian regions," Chapters, in: Economic Growth and Change, chapter 12 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Sinclair, M Thea & Sutcliffe, Charles M S, 1982. "Keynesian Income Multipliers with First and Second Round Effects: An Application to Tourist Expenditure," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 44(4), pages 321-38, November.
- Stefano Casini Benvenuti & Giandemetrio Marangoni, 1999. "Infrastructure and Performance of the Italian Economic System," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 439-455.
- Black, Philip A, 1981. "Injection Leakages, Trade Repercussions and the Regional Income Multiplier," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 28(3), pages 227-35, November.
- R. Paci & A. Saba, 1997. "The empirics of regional Economic growth in italy. 1951-1993," Working Paper CRENoS 199701, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Sinclair, M Thea & Sutcliffe, Charles M S, 1983. "Injection Leakages, Trade Repercussions and the Regional Income Multiplier: An Extension," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 30(3), pages 275-86, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fan:scresc:v:html10.3280/scre2003-001002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.