Dual Distribution and Differentiated Products
This paper develops an approach to analyzing the equilibrium in markets where firms selling differentiated products can choose dual distribution to sell their products. Dual distribution involves a firm selling its product both through company owned stores and through independently operated franchises. In choosing the proportion of company owned versus franchise stores, in equilibrium, the firms have no incentive to alter this ratio given the proportions chosen by rival firms. The approach taken here in analyzing dual distribution is quite general and can be applied in a variety of settings.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 515 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3B 2E9|
Phone: (204) 786-9422
Fax: (204) 772-4183
Web page: http://economics.uwinnipeg.ca/RePEc/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Motta,Massimo, 2004.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521016919.
- Motta,Massimo, 2004. "Competition Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521816632.
- Gallini, Nancy T & Lutz, Nancy A, 1992. "Dual Distribution and Royalty Fees in Franchising," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 471-501, October.
- Mathewson, G Frank & Winter, Ralph A, 1985. "The Economics of Franchise Contracts," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(3), pages 503-526, October.
- Francine Lafontaine & Kathryn L. Shaw, 2005. "Targeting Managerial Control: Evidence from Franchising," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(1), pages 131-150, Spring.
- Francine Lafontaine & Kathryn L. Shaw, 2001. "Targeting Managerial Control: Evidence from Franchising," NBER Working Papers 8416, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bonanno, Giacomo & Vickers, John, 1988. "Vertical Separation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 257-265, March.
- Minkler, Alanson P., 1990. "An empirical analysis of a firm's decision to franchise," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 77-82, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:win:winwop:2011-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Soham Baksi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.