Forecaster Rationality and Expectation Formation in Foreign Exchange Markets: Do Emerging Markets Differ from Industrialized Economies?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Michael Frenkel & Jan‐C. Rülke & Lilli Zimmermann, 2012. "Do Current Account Forecasters Herd? Evidence from the Euro Area and the G7 Countries," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 221-236, May.
- Elliott, Graham & Ito, Takatoshi, 1999.
"Heterogeneous expectations and tests of efficiency in the yen/dollar forward exchange rate market,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 435-456, April.
- Graham Elliott & Takatoshi Ito, 1998. "Heterogeneous Expectations and Tests of Efficiency in the Yen/Dollar Forward Exchange rate Market," Discussion Paper Series a347, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Elliott, Graham & ITO, TAKATOSHI, 1998. "Heterogeneous Expectations and Tests of Efficiency in the Yen/Dollar Forward Exchange Rate Market," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt5wm0q8mz, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Froot, Kenneth A, 1987.
"Using Survey Data to Test Standard Propositions Regarding Exchange Rate Expectations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 133-153, March.
- Frankel, Jeff & Froot, Ken, 1986. "Using Survey Data to Test Standard Propositions Regarding Exchange Rate Expectations," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt1972q8wm, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Tsuchiya, Yoichi, 2016. "Assessing macroeconomic forecasts for Japan under an asymmetric loss function," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 233-242.
- Jongen, R. & Muller, A. & Verschoor, W.F.C., 2012. "Using survey data to resolve the exchange risk exposure puzzle: Evidence from U.S. multinational firms," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 148-169.
- Ito, Takatoshi, 1990.
"Foreign Exchange Rate Expectations: Micro Survey Data,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 434-449, June.
- Takatoshi Ito, 1988. "Foreign Exchange Rate Expectations: Micro Survey Data," NBER Working Papers 2679, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Menkhoff, L., 1998. "The noise trading approach -- questionnaire evidence from foreign exchange," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 547-564, June.
- Ince, Onur & Molodtsova, Tanya & Papell, David H., 2016.
"Taylor rule deviations and out-of-sample exchange rate predictability,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 69(C), pages 22-44.
- Onur Ince & Tanya Molodtsova & David H. Papell, 2015. "Taylor Rule Deviations and Out-of-Sample Exchange Rate Predictability," Working Papers 15-02, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Keane, Michael P & Runkle, David E, 1990. "Testing the Rationality of Price Forecasts: New Evidence from Panel Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(4), pages 714-735, September.
- Lukas Menkhoff & Rafael Rebitzky & Michael Schroder, 2008. "Do dollar forecasters believe too much in PPP?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 261-270.
- Bettendorf, Timo & Chen, Wenjuan, 2013.
"Are there bubbles in the Sterling-dollar exchange rate? New evidence from sequential ADF tests,"
Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 350-353.
- Timo Bettendorf & Wenjuan Chen, 2013. "Are There Bubbles in the Sterling-dollar Exchange Rate? New Evidence from Sequential ADF Tests," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2013-012, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Chen, Wenjuan & Bettendorf, Timo, 2013. "Are There Bubbles in the Sterling-dollar Exchange Rate? New Evidence from Sequential ADF Tests," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 80002, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Frenkel, Michael & Rülke, Jan-Christoph & Stadtmann, Georg, 2009. "Two currencies, one model? Evidence from the Wall Street Journal forecast poll," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 588-596, October.
- Tsuchiya, Yoichi, 2015. "Herding behavior and loss functions of exchange rate forecasters over interventions and financial crises," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 266-276.
- Tommaso Monacelli & Roberto Perotti, 2010. "Fiscal Policy, the Real Exchange Rate and Traded Goods," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(544), pages 437-461, May.
- Willem F.C. Verschoor & Remco C.J. Zwinkels, 2013. "Do foreign exchange fund managers behave like heterogeneous agents?," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(7), pages 1125-1134, February.
- Christian Pierdzioch & Jan-Christoph Rülke & Georg Stadtmann, 2012. "Exchange-rate forecasts and asymmetric loss: empirical evidence for the yen/dollar exchange rate," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(18), pages 1759-1763, December.
- Roy Batchelor, 2001. "How useful are the forecasts of intergovernmental agencies? The IMF and OECD versus the consensus," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 225-235.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014.
"A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-708, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Menkhoff, Lukas, 2001. "Short-Term Horizons in Foreign Exchange? Survey Evidence from Dealers and Fund Managers," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 27-47.
- Gabriele Galati & Steven Poelhekke & Chen Zhou, 2008. "Did the anchor of inflation expectations in the euro area turn adrift?," DNB Working Papers 191, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Goldbaum, David & Zwinkels, Remco C.J., 2014. "An empirical examination of heterogeneity and switching in foreign exchange markets," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 107(PB), pages 667-684.
- Molodtsova, Tanya & Papell, David H., 2009. "Out-of-sample exchange rate predictability with Taylor rule fundamentals," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 167-180, April.
- Macdonald, Ronald & Marsh, Ian W., 1996. "Currency forecasters are heterogeneous: confirmation and consequences," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 665-685, October.
- Frenkel, Michael & Lis, Eliza M. & Rülke, Jan-Christoph, 2011. "Has the economic crisis of 2007-2009 changed the expectation formation process in the Euro area?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1808-1814, July.
- Ruelke, Jan C. & Frenkel, Michael R. & Stadtmann, Georg, 2010. "Expectations on the yen/dollar exchange rate - Evidence from the Wall Street Journal forecast poll," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 355-368, September.
- ter Ellen, Saskia & Verschoor, Willem F.C. & Zwinkels, Remco C.J., 2013. "Dynamic expectation formation in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 75-97.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kunze, Frederik, 2017. "Predicting exchange rates in Asia: New insights on the accuracy of survey forecasts," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 326, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
More about this item
KeywordsForeign exchange; forecast bias; expectation formation; chartist; fundamentalist; Balassa-Samuelson;
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:whu:wpaper:17-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rainer Michael Rilke). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/whukode.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.