Soverign Wealth Fund Issues and the National Fund(s) of Kazakhstan
This paper first describes the major concerns associated with SWFs, mainly revolving around state ownership and lack of transparency. It then focuses on the National Fund for the Future of Kazakhstan (the ???oil fund???, or NOF) and Samruk Kazyna (SK), the holding company for state owned enterprises. The NOF is funded predominately by corporate income taxes and royalties on natural resource production and is an instrument to provide financial stability and intergenerational equity. SK includes most large public monopolies and state owned enterprises not privatized in the 1990s with all of the accompanying issues related to state ownership and control of productive activities.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 724 E. University Ave, Wyly Hall 1st Flr, Ann Arbor MI 48109|
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshua Aizenman & Reuven Glick, 2008.
"Sovereign wealth funds: stylized facts about their determinants and governance,"
Working Paper Series
2008-33, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Joshua Aizenman & Reuven Glick, 2009. "Sovereign Wealth Funds: Stylized Facts about their Determinants and Governance," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 351-386, December.
- Joshua Aizenman & Reuven Glick, 2008. "Sovereign Wealth Funds: Stylized Facts about their Determinants and Governance," NBER Working Papers 14562, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Glick, Reuven, 2008. "Sovereign Wealth Funds: Stylized Facts about their Determinants and Governance," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt1fj4b203, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2009.
"A Blueprint for Sovereign Wealth Fund Best Practices,"
Revue d'Économie Financière,
Programme National Persée, vol. 9(1), pages 429-451.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2008. "A Blueprint for Sovereign Wealth Fund Best Practices," Policy Briefs PB08-3, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2007. "Transparency and Corporate Governance," NBER Working Papers 12875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roland Beck & Michael Fidora, 2008.
"The impact of sovereign wealth funds on global financial markets,"
Occasional Paper Series
91, European Central Bank.
- Roland Beck & Michael Fidora, 2008. "The impact of sovereign wealth funds on global financial markets," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 43(6), pages 349-358, November.
- Theodore H. Moran, 2009. "Three Threats: An Analytical Framework for the CFIUS Process," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 4297, 03.
- Jason Kotter & Ugur Lel, 2008.
"Friends or foes? The stock price impact of sovereign wealth fund investments and the price of keeping secrets,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
940, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kotter, Jason & Lel, Ugur, 2011. "Friends or foes? Target selection decisions of sovereign wealth funds and their consequences," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 360-381, August.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2010. "Sovereign Wealth Funds: Threat or Salvation?," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 4983, 03.
- Heiko Hesse & Tao Sun, 2009. "Sovereign Wealth Funds and Financial Stabilityâ€”An Event Study Analysis," IMF Working Papers 09/239, International Monetary Fund.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2007. "Sovereign Wealth Funds: The Need for Greater Transparency and Accountability," Policy Briefs PB07-6, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2012-1036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (WDI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.